Power Steering not working

EyeAmRed2U

Original poster
May 26, 2014
2004 Buick Rainier, V8.
New Rack and Pinion and steering hoses. Power Steering was working fine now hard to turn in both directions. No lesks, fluid level fine. If I raise the front end and take load off, the wheel turns fine. The pump isn't grinding or whining? Is there an electronic module that controls any part of the pump or is the pump just bad? any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Ken

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Does it feel like there is no power assist at all, or just weak power assist?

There is no electronic control to the power steering, it is a purely hydraulic system.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could be that the pump was marginal with the old rack and unable to provide adequate pressure with the new one.

Why was the rack replaced?

EyeAmRed2U

Original poster
May 26, 2014
The old rack was replaced due to a collapse of the internal systems. Hard steer to the left, easy to the right. New rack, system bled properly. I tend to think the pump is now failed as well, just wanted to make sure there was no electronic control to this system. I think I will replace the pump and bleed the system. Thanks for all the input.

Does it feel like there is no power assist at all, or just weak power assist?

There is no electronic control to the power steering, it is a purely hydraulic system.
When on the highway at 60mph, it feels like it should at low speed, so I would say weak power assist. I can "power brake" the truck and the steering will soften.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If higher engine speeds makes the steering easier, then you've got either a weak pump or you have a partial blockage someplace that the higher pressure from the pump spun at a higher speed can push past a little bit more.

EyeAmRed2U

Original poster
May 26, 2014
If higher engine speeds makes the steering easier, then you've got either a weak pump or you have a partial blockage someplace that the higher pressure from the pump spun at a higher speed can push past a little bit more.
I am going to replace pump, flush the system and bleed the system. Will post results

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I suggest that you flush the system before replacing the pump. That way, all you'll have in the system is fresh fluid.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Luster

Members Online