Power choking

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I haven't been able to get any of my bolts to budge yet. I'm really not sure what to try, I know a guy with an oxy-acet torch but I think he's avoiding me for the size of the job haha. I've used the acetone/atf mix on all the bolts several times, but I'm scared to put much torque on anything for fear of breaking heads off. I just called a local dealer for a quote and was given minimum 450 assuming none of the bolts break. I know they won't take care with it and that 450 will turn into 2 grand.

Could I try heating the bolts with a regular propane torch or would that not heat them up enough? I've had my TB parked far too long this year and I'm tired of borrowed vehicles, my frustration is at its peak.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Update

As per the other thread I was in, I got the exhaust manifold off. One bolt broke. Of course it's the back one closest to the firewall. Bought a right angle drill, got drilled in but easy outs won't budge. As per advice I then drilled right through and tried again, broke an easy out off inside the hole. :mad:

After three days of attempts to get that out, success, using a dremel and about 4 different diamond bits. Now I'm back to having a hole drilled out. Trying to make the hole bigger but the next bit size up pushes the right angle drill too far back and at the wrong angle, cannot drill it straight. At this point I feel I'm looking at a scenario where I drill the hole out completely (working away at it with the dremel again) and re-tap or possible even heli-coil the hole.

I'm happy the manifold is off, and that only one bolt broke, just wish it wasn't that bolt. Of course this all happened well below the surface and there's no chance of grabbing anything.

Anyways, since I got the extractor out today I worked at the hole some more, now I'm soaking it overnight in atf/acetone, perhaps I'll try an easy out again? Awfully scared of breaking another one, that took too much time and effort to get out.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what to do with my hole here? Keep in mind the location makes it extremely tight and difficult to work with.

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Still pluggin away, I was worried cause my hole was straight but a little off center. Though it looks like it was off in a good way and I've got it more or less centered now.

Side note, anyone ever tried one of these?

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=66009&SEName=917-107

Doesn't look like it's made for this year anyways but if it fit it might be a last resort sort of thing

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
51c5k8C%2BRHL._SY450_.jpg

find yourself a stubby 5/16" bit...
drill out the remaining bolt material (carefully not going tooo deep).
Then Heli Coil or Time-Sert the hole.

Reactions: Texan

PProph

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
As per the other thread, update we got the bolt out, but damaged up the threads pretty good in the process. Tapped in a heli coil and cleaned out all other bolt holes. New manifold on (heat shield from Dorman is not a precise fit, some bending and banging gets it in but if you're fine with the old heat shield I'd just keep that). Also changed my CPAS. Cleared my codes to start fresh.

Still on the to-do list:

Spark plugs (did but with NGK, now have the delco iridiums to put in)
T-Stat and Temp Sending Sensor
Transmission fluid/filter change
Pinion Seal on front dif
Oil change and winter tire change.

All of the above might wait until after Christmas purely for time constraint reasons.

I still won't be driving it until I get that vent for the transmission pressure relief hose thingy, gonna go to a wrecker tomorrow. Getting excited to have it back though.

minisuv

Apr 17, 2015
how was the finished product? I have an 04 envoy my buddy a trailblazer same gears ans tires but he has way more miles and much more hoarse power and torque. I was wondering about the cat, exhaust and anything else i can try to figure. We tried to tow a small lake bass boat and my voy was hurten. we got his trailblazer with 100k more on it and felt like I was in a modified rig. he towes a full camper with his and if its me n 3 kids i have to keep it in 3rd and stay out of D to keep the rpm's up as we live in the mountains. my check engine light comes n goes but seens it may need exhaust guess I will do the cat with a better unit and magnaflow muffler w/bosch o2 sensors i pray this works or I am going back to big pre 87 trucks. at leasr you can fix them on the side of the road.

yonkster4g4

Aug 3, 2015
I have the same issue with my 2003 trailblazer ltz with 178,000 miles on it, but on mine when you top off the gas tank it gets worse then below a half tank is better but still sluggish. I will try some of this fixes and check the exhaust manifold.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online