powder coating calipers

Grey Thunder

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Allright boys and girls. I'm going to replace my calipers and I want to get them powder coated. Do I have to disassemble them like take out the seals and pistons or am I ok to have them powdercoated fully assembled?

Reactions: Capote

Grey Thunder

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I have done that before. I don't want to go thru the hassle of painting them every year when I put my aftermarket wheels on. I can have the powder coating possess done fairly cheap

Grey Thunder

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I may end up painting them in the end tho. I'm still tossing ideas around. I did find a site that will powdercoat them for you but I don't feel like dropping $700 for the color that I want. I did find red powdercoated ones for much cheaper but I want blue as that is my accent color

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
A couple coats of brush on G2 caliper paint FTW. When I pressure wash them, they look as good as the day I painted them. They are painted black so they always look good.

I have used rattle can caliper paint before and had to redo the calipers every Spring. G2 bursh on paint is way more expensive, but it holds up better than rattle can IMO.

$40-$45 for G2 versus $700 for powder coat :eek: Easy choice for me.

Grey Thunder

Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Oh I haven't heard of the G2 paint. I've always used the Duplicator stuff. I may look into the G2. I'd rather tape off then disassemble the calipers

Ya I can have the powder coating done for me by a friend of a friend. So I can get it done pretty cheap but I may have to disassemble them. The Web site I found has the refurbished with new seals and what not and also powdercoated. But I don't want to pay that $700! That's alot of beer lol

A couple coats of brush on G2 caliper paint FTW. When I pressure wash them, they look as good as the day I painted them. They are painted black so they always look good.

I have used rattle can caliper paint before and had to redo the calipers every Spring. G2 bursh on paint is way more expensive, but it holds up better than rattle can IMO.

$40-$45 for G2 versus $700 for powder coat :eek: Easy choice for me.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grey Thunder said:
Oh I haven't heard of the G2 paint. I've always used the Duplicator stuff. I may look into the G2. I'd rather tape off then disassemble the calipers
Whats great about the G2 caliper paint system is that you do NOT need to tape off any part of the caliper. It is all done by hand with a small detail brush. The paint is 2 parts that have to be mixed. The most prep work you will do is thoroughly cleaning each caliper. The paint is also self leveling.

There is enough paint in the kit to do all four calipers with a couple coats, if needed. The paint goes on thick, so multiple coats may not be needed. I went with black, so only one coat. They also have a variety of colors to choose from. Here is their site, http://www.g2usa.com/

The G2 site charges $47 for their standard color kit and $100 for a custom color of your choice. I found my standard color kit for $35 on Amazon.com.

I used Duplicolor back in the day on my Honda's calipers and had to redo the calipers every Spring. I did use Duplicolor on my new BrakeMotive rotors and I have can sees areas are chipping. I probably should have bought two G2 kits and painted the rotors too.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I'll co-sign on the G2, did mine white and they did look good until I tried using some plastidip cleaner which cleaned the white plasti I had on my rims but stripped the G2 off the calipers a bit. So I had to redo them. This is a better to start out with and cheaper than powdercoating.

Reactions: dmanns67

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher