Postless Wheel Spacers?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Has anyone done simple wheel spacers, the kind that are just a hunk of metal with no lug posts? And then hammer out the truck's lug posts and hammer in some longer ones? I'm not a fan of these bolt on wheel spacers. I had a pair of them on the back of my S10 and I hated that I had to take the wheels off just to check to see if the "inner" set of lug nuts was tight.
It seems like doing a simple spacer with longer posts would probably cost no more than the regular type people always use. It would be more of a project to install them but the end result would be better.

Allllllsoooooooo, what exactly is the process for changing out lug posts? From what I gather, you take the wheels and rotors off, then just bash the old ones in from the outside? Then how do you get the new one in?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Those are only good for a lil bit...maybe 1/4 inch not an inch n a half like we run to clear the ball joint.

You probably will also need to pull the axle shaft out of the clips to put new ones in. They can just be drawn through with tightening a nut though.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah for shimming the wheel slightly they are OK, but really long you don't want to do that as it puts a lot of extra stress on the long lug.

I use a 3 lb sledge to knock old studs out, then use an old lug nut to draw the replacement stud in. When I torque the lugs to hold the wheel on the first time after changing I will torque them down, check them, then after a short bit retorque again just to make sure the studs are fully seated and draw in slightly more and loosen the torque on the lug.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online