Possible stepper motor?

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
I have either a stepper motor going flaky or the regulator on my alternator is about to blow. My voltage gauge wavers up and down a little bit, at idle and at any speed. When I run torque and am looking at the voltage, it goes from 13.6ish to 14.X. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the alt.

Matt

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Check all of your connections and have the alternator & battery checked. If the battery & alternator check out OK and the needle is still moving, it's probably the stepper motor in the cluster.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed. If the Torque app says the data stream from the PCM sees varying voltage, and the gauge wiggles as well, it's not the gauge. What does your handheld meter say? (Note I assume EVERYBODY owns a cheap meter.)

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
All the connections are tight and the battery is only about 6 months old, there's no starting or charging issues, just that bloody needles wavering back and forth.

I put the meter on it yesterday and at idle was reading around 13.8. Increasing RPM's to 1500 & 2000 increased it to 14.5ish where it remained steady. This, to me at least, indicates the stepper is on it's way out.

I'm learning about the meter, that's why I bought one a while ago from HF.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Matt said:
I put the meter on it yesterday and at idle was reading around 13.8. Increasing RPM's to 1500 & 2000 increased it to 14.5ish where it remained steady. This, to me at least, indicates the stepper is on it's way out.

I think you're right.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
There, I fixed your post. :rotfl:

Thank you sir...that was short sighted of me! :biggrin:

Well, I learned from the OS that anything electrical will almost always have you asking about a meter.

Thank you both for your help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macicg65

Members Online