pickle fork size

dacoach

Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Going to replace the struts this week. What size pickle fork do I need to get. Want to buy not borrow.
Thank you
Dacoach

dacoach

Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Some use a pit arm puller or a pickle fork to get the bottom arm off. Just did not know the size. 15/16 or 1 1/8.
Since I have more vehicles to do in the future I bought a otc clam style spring compressor. Man is that thing heavy duty.
Dacoach

Reactions: kickass audio

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You might be able to get by if you have a really big flathead screw driver, and tap the back side with a mallet/hammer..

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And many folks get it off by hitting the mount at right angles to the pin in the lower control arm, to shock the taper fitting into jumping right off the pin. I use the pittman arm usually, with a little hammer tap once slight pressure is on the fitting.

removaltool-orig.jpg

Blacktrails

Dec 8, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
The only special tool you need is a spring compressor? Am I missing something?
I just did mine and that all I used. Driver side was a hell of a lot easier but the passenger side wasn't too difficult.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
BlazingTrails said:
Actually it is very easy. I've done it on 3 different Tb's. You should try it before you knock it.
I meant the OP is doing it the hard way, darn printed media misinterpreting my thoughts.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I have seen a lot of people who just take the lower shock off the pinch bolt that connects the strut to the lower control arm. I myself found it a lot easier to loosen up the bolts that secure the upper shock mount to the frame from inside the engine bay but keep the nuts attached a few threads. I then just took a small handheld sledge hammer and gave a few good hits on the shock mount and then a few gentle blows with the hammer on the dampener with the nut on the end to not gall the threads up and it broke free. Keeping the nuts on a little in the engine bay where it secures to the frame prevents the shock from free falling if you are hitting it without the bolt on the lower control arm connection. It was a huge PITA to get my stock shocks out of the pinch bolt so that is why I opted to take the whole assembly out and replace them so I could beat the living hell out of the stock shock to get it to release from the pinch bolt.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Yeah but with the shock held at the top, all you gotta do it pull the bolt from the pinch point, tap a wedge in the gap, and push down on the knuckle. I can literally take my shocks out in 10 minutes. You don't have to beat on anything....

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its the smaller about 12 inch long pickle fork. Really simple and takes less than 10 minutes.

i have done both ways multiple times and always remove it all now. I do use some anti-seize on the lower mount so it helps and the first time may be a bitch

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
dacoach said:
Going to replace the struts this week. What size pickle fork do I need to get. Want to buy not borrow.
Thank you
Dacoach
I borrowed a 27021 from Auto Zone. Link Says it is a 1" jaw. Maybe use that info to shop for one.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
If I ever replace mine again, I'll try leaving the lower arm on and sliding the shock body up and out. I like that approach.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online