Picked up a 1500HD

RedRocketZ28

Original poster
May 16, 2014
I ended up finding a 2003 Silverado 1500HD with 52k miles on it. I gave $15,500 for it which I thought was a smoking deal. It's fully loaded, leather, bose, etc. It's in great shape and most importantly, no rust! It will sit in the garage and serve as a toy hauler when called upon.

Here is my story I copied from another forum I frequent. It's a rambling mess but I'm feeling lazy this morning.

Just this past weekend my wife and I flew to Kentucky from Iowa via two tiny planes. We rented a car at Owensboro, KY airport and drove to Bowling Green to meet up with some buddies on the Hot Rod Power Tour. That same night we ended up driving to Nashville, TN to hit up some of the bars down there. Went to bed at 3 AM and were out the door by 7 AM on our way to Campbellsville, KY to pickup the truck that this whole trip stemmed around. After doing the deal we met up with some of my wife's family in Columbia, KY. From there we drove back to Owensboro to drop off the rental. Then we made our way to St. Louis to meet up with the same people we hung out with the night before. Stopped at a shop called Vermillion Speed Shop and were there until 9 PM or so. Went and grabbed some food and were on the road back to Iowa at 11 PM. We drove through a nasty storm just south of Hannibal, MO. After a couple of stops we finally rolled into the garage around 4:30 AM, slept for a couple of hours and went to pick up the kids from the Grandparents. Was a pretty eventful Father's Day weekend and one I will never forget.

Pics of the truck in the middle of Kentucky somewhere.

At home in the garage.

As of now I plan to keep the Rainier for another year or so. I commute 25 mins one way to work three days a week and the Silverado gets about 4 MPG less than the Rainier does. I averaged right around 13 MPG driving back from Kentucky but we were running 75-80 most of the way. The 6.0/4L80E combo likes to use the fuel. I have already been working on a tune for it with the help of a buddy. Going to get that loaded up tonight and see how much of a difference there is. These trucks are detuned big time from the factory and really wake up with some tweaks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nice looking ride. Hopefully the tune gives you a few MPG and some right pedal fun :wink:

Reactions: RedRocketZ28

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A good tune can wake up these beasts nicely and hopefully gain a MPG or two.

Nice truck! :2thumbsup:

Reactions: RedRocketZ28

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.