Pedal shudders / falls when stopping

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
2005 ext , haven’t driven it much for a while and started using it as a daily driver again. When slowing to a stop normally/ slowly, it feels like the abs kicks in and the pedal drops an inch or so and the truck moves forward like the brakes give out for a second. Scary if I’m close behind someone. Any ideas?

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Check the wheel speed sensors, connectors & wires. Are they properly attached/firmly secured, no damage? Does the ABS light come on? Do you have access to a scan tool or code reader that can read ABS codes? If so, any DTC's?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Video provides the Insights, Diagnostics and the Means to remedy the Problem:

Reactions: Mike534x

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If cleaning the sensors doesn't work, a hub is on its way out. Even if there's no noise, it has enough if a wobble to screw up the reluctor's signal to the sensor. Trick is to find which one. You would need to see live wheel speed data to see which one is dropping out.

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
2005 ext , haven’t driven it much for a while and started using it as a daily driver again. When slowing to a stop normally/ slowly, it feels like the abs kicks in and the pedal drops an inch or so and the truck moves forward like the brakes give out for a second. Scary if I’m close behind someone. Any ideas?
Few things that you might try. an ABS system that is gummed up could cause issues, Pull your ABS relay and drive without it, see if you get same or goes away. I am not a big fan of ABS, but it could be an issue with your system or just the relay going bad.

Another thing, is any drop in the pedal after depressing it points to possibility of a vacuum issue with your booster. Your vehicle could be seeing it as you are on loose terrain or ice, and kicking in ABS to compensate.
Air in the brake lines is possible, but I feel you would have said it was a soft sponge to the floor.

I had a similar problem a number of years ago after I changed my brakes and instead of cracking the bleeder, pushed old nasty brake fluid (yes it was almost black) back through the system and I think it hit my ABS module and gunked it up. (for the record this was back a decade or so before I really got interested in mechanics). If you let it sit for a while the brake fluid could be bad and it can cause intermittent ABS issues without triggering the ABS idiot light.
If the above doesnt work, you could try checking your fluid and maybe think about flushing the lines with some new brake fluid.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod