PCMFORLESS NEW E-Fan Setup and PCMFORLESS INTAKE

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
woaaa more goodies for the L6! lol! tempting! However the Efan patch thing is a stopper for me! I can't keep sending me PCM back to the states to get things done lol

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Ace1875 said:
since its on sale u could do the core option and keep ur current pcm

Well yeh, but I got mine on sale in the first place :biggrin:! shipping to Saudi Arabia costs anywhere between $50-$60. So not really saving much and that's for the PCM alone. Imagine if for the Intake and Efan setup :mad:!

borretje

Jan 1, 2012
fadyasha said:
Well yeh, but I got mine on sale in the first place :biggrin:! shipping to Saudi Arabia costs anywhere between $50-$60. So not really saving much and that's for the PCM alone. Imagine if for the Intake and Efan setup :mad:!

Same over here,i bought a volant cai and tune shipping $80,- tax $200,-,:crazy::crazy:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Sounds like you guys should buy a HPTuners suite or EFILive FlashScan/AutoCal and be able to do things like this without having to remove the PCM/ECM from the truck.

borretje

Jan 1, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Sounds like you guys should buy a HPTuners suite or EFILive FlashScan/AutoCal and be able to do things like this without having to remove the PCM/ECM from the truck.

Thay's what i was thinking about!:stars:
What's your advice?

Greetings John

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Well you save on tax and shipping lol! No tax in KSA but sure saver on shipping! Is it worth it though to make an investment in a tool that's pretty costly though for a handful of mods? That's why I never pulled the trigger.

My buddy ended up buying a diablo tool for his jeep. He played around with it for a week then ended up trying to sell it!

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
andy702252 said:
Okay guys so a few months ago I was just on the right post at the right time when I was given the offer to loan my truck to PCMFORLESS so that they could make a prototype e-fan. This fan would automatically turn on unlike the manually operated ones before. In addition to the E-fans, they sent me an e-mail last Tuesday asking if they could make an intake also. So of course I agreeded and boy o boy was I impressed. Not only at the new found sound, but at the throttle response, fuel economy, and just flat out fun to drive. Now of course as soon as I picked the TB up I took it down the road to get a little wild, and it roared. I have aftermarket exhaust already on my truck but the addition of their intake made it awesome. It is not like other intakes that I have heard go down the road whistling or making noises, it adds the true sleeper element. The intake stays hidden till about 2500 to 3000 rpm. I have never had so many guys wanting to race at lights 2 back to back. Anyway on to the big topic at hand fuel economy. I filled up my truck after leaving their shop. I have drove 276 miles and still have 1/4 of a tank, I know what your thinking the gauges are not that accurate. But even if they were lying I still would be happy. The truck was drove in the range from 70-100 for about 80 miles on interstate on the way back home. Then I had to made some stop and go's in my home town adding about 15 miles, of course putting it to the floor between each stop. Then I left for school adding another 80 miles of torture. Now I wont go on about all my stops but I would say it would be pretty much equal with city vs. highway driving with about as much drive time in both. Normally I would had been at the gas station 2 days ago filling up again. If you guys have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me.

Andy i'm just wondering how much HP you got under the hood now?

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I really don't have any idea about HP. I'm going to synopsis it after I rebuild my tranny this summer. I would love to have a cam, headers, and a set of pulleys for my TB. Someone should start producing all 3.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
andy702252 said:
I really don't have any idea about HP. I'm going to synopsis it after I rebuild my tranny this summer. I would love to have a cam, headers, and a set of pulleys for my TB. Someone should start producing all 3.

check out my thread. Member was telling me about cams and so on. That's too far for me. Not looking to make a beast just needing more power. I'd be happy at 300 hp :tongue:

http://gmtnation.com/f25/plans-more-power-suggestions-2952/

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
I'd love a set of cams myself, but I'm not 100% invested in turning my envoy into a performance machine. Would rather spend my money on something else. Wouldn't a set of cams reduce the overall life of the engine though... or does it just alter the timing mostly? Same with the headers... I don't think the gain from them is worth the money, and certainly won't improve the sound of the I6. Would love to have a great condition TB SS with a cam in it and a corsa touring exhaust.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have an aftermarket cam in my Camaro and it changed pretty much everything. Lift amount, rate, duration, overlap, everything. The car also shakes a bit at idle from the cam as it is not smooth running at idle :biggrin: It still has good street manners.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
You know, I dug out my OEM parts for my stock intake unit, and I got to thinking about the ram air idea again. There is a plastic funnel that I could mount into the side of the heat shield on my K&N intake, and somehow attach the OEM intake tube to that, and funnel air from under the truck. It would be much easier to figure something out if I got the e-fan installed because that frees up a lot of room. Anyone think this would be worth it?

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I really want to do something with ram air. I thought about buying a hood I found on ebay that already had the scoop on it. My buddy put a hood on his 05 mustang gt and he gets straight up stupid gas mileage. Given he has done some other small things but he gets like 31 MPG.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
andy702252 said:
I really want to do something with ram air. I thought about buying a hood I found on ebay that already had the scoop on it. My buddy put a hood on his 05 mustang gt and he gets straight up stupid gas mileage. Given he has done some other small things but he gets like 31 MPG.

If I do it, I wanna make sure its legit and not just half-ass it like I've seen some other guys post about. I wanna make sure that its constantly sucking in cold air and is less influenced to draw in the warmer air around the engine bay.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
If I do it, I wanna make sure its legit and not just half-ass it like I've seen some other guys post about. I wanna make sure that its constantly sucking in cold air and is less influenced to draw in the warmer air around the engine bay.

I was just thinking about this, but since I need some rust fixed on my hood, I could have a scoop put on the hood and welded on there and make it functional? That idea about drawing air from under the truck would be great! The efans would fix this slightly, But then you have to deal with the upper radiator hose.... But there is NO DAMN ROOM without the Efans! Only way would be a hood scoop.... without the efans.:undecided:

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I am thinking about exploring both options, I think the really simple solution for someone just settling for one would be the hood scoop. Only problem is I wonder what the fab/ repaint would cost versus the buy entire hood/paint. I have thought about running a cowl from under my truck into the intake via something like black plumbers pipe, call me a noob but I think its so crazy it might just work. I would just need to put a inline filter somewhere in the equation so my intake would not have to work through all that extra grit,dirt, and grim

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
andy702252 said:
I am thinking about exploring both options, I think the really simple solution for someone just settling for one would be the hood scoop. Only problem is I wonder what the fab/ repaint would cost versus the buy entire hood/paint. I have thought about running a cowl from under my truck into the intake via something like black plumbers pipe, call me a noob but I think its so crazy it might just work. I would just need to put a inline filter somewhere in the equation so my intake would not have to work through all that extra grit,dirt, and grim

Yes, i personally am going to try and thing of a way. WITHOUT EFANS. I was thinking more under the lines of Thin aluminum? Ran up and around the filter thus creating a air box and ram air intake?? Thoughts? I dont think PVC would be worth doing unless you did 3" or bigger....

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I am thinking the same size about 3", the reason I'm going to use PVC is because I think that to much heat will be passed thru the metal. Depending on where I decide to put the scoop on the bottom of the truck, will influence what type of material I use. Here is a quick view of where I think I'm going to try to place a decent size cowl induction. I think that's the correct terminology.

Attachments

• Trailblazer scoop.jpg
    Trailblazer scoop.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 12

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
What ever you decide to do you cant use that entire area. That portion of the radiator has other coolers that are piggy backed to it. You can use the area for the tow hooks or the fog light, if you dont have them.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
andy702252 said:
I still have decide if I want to do a single or double intake.

I think I've asked about this before, and from what I gather, our trucks don't pull in enough air for it really to make a difference in making a double intake. Try it if you want, won't hurt anything, but again I'm under the impression it wouldn't make a difference.

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
I was just thinking about doing a intake like this, by the bottom of the radiator. But will you have to worry about water? Going through some deep puddles? That are up to the bottom of the front bumper.

andy702252

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
I don't think the puddles would cause you to much problems, even at a decent speed. Figuring the area that the water would have to travel, more than likely it would rush into the tube but drain out; I don't think it would reach the actual intake filter. I need to find something that is about 1" to 2" high and about a 1' long. I think that would do sufficient airflow, what you guys think. Then with the air on top, from the hood scoop it should work.

MaddmannDA

Apr 18, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Yeah I spoke with the lady a little while back, because I was wondering about the torque management issue and the efan patch, and I asked if I could get a discount or just pay shipping since all I wanted changed in my pcm from them was 93 octane and the efan patch, but they said I would have to pay the $150 or whatever it was (the same prize of buying a new one and sending back the core). I wasn't too thrilled with this option, but maybe when I order the efan along with it, something could be done. I just hate to spend another $150 just for the efan patch and 93 octane switch.

IF you look on PCMFORLESS site under FAQ, a re-flash is only $50 + shipping.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
MaddmannDA said:
IF you look on PCMFORLESS site under FAQ, a re-flash is only $50 + shipping.

Yeah I had emailed them again to confirm what they said to me previously, and she told me it was the $50 for a reflash, so I'm satisfied with that. But I know they told me otherwise before which is why I had that idea in my head.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
borretje said:
Thay's what i was thinking about!:stars:
What's your advice?

Greetings John

Hi John, it really depends if you want to be able to adjust your tune(s) at all. With HPTuners, you have full control over the tune file whereas with an AutoCal you have the ability to read/write tunes to your truck (and view, but not modify and flash). If you dont plan on trying to tune your own vehicle at all, then an AutoCal is all you need. Plus an AC can log data/clear DTCs/read/flash tunes standalone, no laptop needed in the vehicle. HPTuners you have to have a laptop to read/flash but can log around an hour of data on the unit.

Also, if you guys really want ram air and a ram air hood, Keystone SS hood + Airaid CAI (or mod the stock airbox) means you'll be pulling fresh air from the hood scoop directly into the air filter. SS guys can run a regular CAI and mod their box too or replace it with a few custom solutions.

A set of cams shouldnt adversely change the longevity of your engine if tuned properly. If you use all stock parts and go with high performance cams, yes life will be reduced as the stock springs arent designed for the extra lift/duration. Use your head and use quality parts for the install and it will last a long time. Now if only someone would make them, problem is Marc (efi-diy on the OS) organized a GB that didnt get enough interest so he stopped trying.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Hi John, it really depends if you want to be able to adjust your tune(s) at all. With HPTuners, you have full control over the tune file whereas with an AutoCal you have the ability to read/write tunes to your truck (and view, but not modify and flash). If you dont plan on trying to tune your own vehicle at all, then an AutoCal is all you need. Plus an AC can log data/clear DTCs/read/flash tunes standalone, no laptop needed in the vehicle. HPTuners you have to have a laptop to read/flash but can log around an hour of data on the unit.

Also, if you guys really want ram air and a ram air hood, Keystone SS hood + Airaid CAI (or mod the stock airbox) means you'll be pulling fresh air from the hood scoop directly into the air filter. SS guys can run a regular CAI and mod their box too or replace it with a few custom solutions.

A set of cams shouldnt adversely change the longevity of your engine if tuned properly. If you use all stock parts and go with high performance cams, yes life will be reduced as the stock springs arent designed for the extra lift/duration. Use your head and use quality parts for the install and it will last a long time. Now if only someone would make them, problem is Marc (efi-diy on the OS) organized a GB that didnt get enough interest so he stopped trying.

Sweet! So in a nutshell we could use Autocal to write the PCMFORLESS tune file? But we can't modify it? Or did I get that wrong? Thanks

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
fadyasha said:
Sweet! So in a nutshell we could use Autocal to write the PCMFORLESS tune file? But we can't modify it? Or did I get that wrong? Thanks

You got it right.

On a different note IMHO Marshall charges soo little that his tune should never be stolen or coppied, or anyone's tune for that matter. Marshall doesn't lock his tune so they can be modified in future if you add more mods.

I am currently doing the efans & trans cooler, just waiting on a few more cooling parts to come in before i complete.

Also i wont be using Dexcool anymore will be migrating to the Toyota's red coolant. which IMHO much much better.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
fadyasha said:

Yes, read your stock tune out and write the modified PCM4Less (or other tuner, but ONLY from the tuner you purchased it from) to your car. No touching the PCM/ECM/TCM at all, just hook up inside the cabin to the OBDII port.

I forgot to mention, with an AutoCal the original tuner has the ability to leave the file unlocked for viewing or they can lock it down. If they do, all the end user can do is copy it to their AC and flash it in.

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Just looked at the pic of the intake again and I don't see where the fuel pressure regulator hook up is. Am I missing something?

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
So I've had the OEM parts of my intake stored away in a box after installing my K&N intake several years ago. Sold the entire stock setup, minus the filter, for $10. I couldn't find anyone to buy it for anything more. I just wanted to get rid of it but what is your guys thoughts on what it might be worth? Was in great shape.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:

Steve Polhill makes cams. Cheap too.

HPIM0428.jpg

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Oooohhhhhhh niceeeeeeee!!! According to the website its at $200. How much power gains do you rekon?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Lime, thanks for the link! I didnt know Steve was making cam cores, thats been the whole issue for years. Throw in a few hundred bucks per cam to have Comp grind them and you're set, now that Im employed I might toy with the idea of building an 06/07 engine for the 02 (few years down the road, AFTER my brother is done using it as his winter rig in Montana).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online