Parking brake parts replacement question and dust shield parts question

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Howdy,
Anyone with experience replacing these parking brake shoes please chime in. What brand did you use? Did it include both shoes or just one for one side? Did it include any of the associated hardware?
Looking on RockAuto they don't really specify across the board how they come, some of the pics in the info tab are counter to what the description states, some of the pics show hardware but again the printed description doesn't mention it. Calling RA is useless I believe as with most parts counters these days, they just tell you the same thing you can see online and from what I understand, RA is acting as a drop shipper middle-man for most of the inventory listed so they can't pull it off the shelf and check. There is a pretty big price difference of about $18 up to $64, understanding there is an inherent quality difference as well but shouldn't be a huge difference between them I'd suspect. And then there's this More Information for ACDELCO 1792118 listed in the parking brake hardware section but clearly shows both shoes in the pic AND is priced less @ $60 than the ACDelco shoes by themselves/itself @ $64.
Also, the driver dust shield is pretty toast and pass side half way there, so thinking about replacing them when funds permit. I know there is a difference of opinions on replacing/using them, I live in rural SE Ohio and in my last job did half of my miles on poorly repaired to dirt/gravel Appalachian country roads, so yes I want them. Looks like Dorman is the best deal. Does anyone know if they are packaged as a pair or each, the description states two piece which usually means its a split design maybe so you don't have to pull the axle to replace but elsewhere I see conflicting info as well?
Anyway, let me know, thanks, Bill.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The sets I'm seeing on Ebay right now for about $42 are a pair.

Not certain about the dust shields, but I've never heard of a split item. Everybody who's done the job ends up pulling their axles out of the diff to do the work. If mine rusted off, I'd leave them.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I cant get into some of your specific questions however, I can give you my thoughts. Get the cheapest/cheaper shoes. My set came with 4 shoe pieces. They will all be the same, and honestly, how often do you use the parking brake? You may need a hardware kit, I did not, but it is important to disassemble and clean and lube all hardware. I have the tools/solutions to do this easily, for someone who doesn't, replacing hardware w/ new might be an easier/more cost effective route. You will have to pull the axles to get the oem backing shields out, so it makes no difference if it's a split design. I don't think I've ever seen a split design for our trucks. You should go ahead and do axle seals while you are there. They are cheap. If you are re-using rotors, you may need to grind down the rust ridge on the inside, in order to get them on and function properly. Good luck, doing all this will save you tons of $ in labor.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
tblazerdude said:
... honestly, how often do you use the parking brake? ...
All good advice, but I'm highly motivated to have mine work excellently as an emergency brake, since if a rock rips off one of my hydraulic lines, I'm going to use the ebrake to try to save my ass from falling down a 6000 foot cliff to certain doom. YMMV. :wink:

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Thanks Roadie,
Just about every listing for the Dorman item states "Notes: Rear. Two piece unit." and then shows quantity in the pack as 1. I just checked ebay myself and it's a mixed bag as well, almost all of the listings are using a stock photo which shows two plates and then some of them are stating they come as a pair.
This one Brake Dust Shield Pair Fits GM Models Replaces OE 15158972 15158973 | eBay is $30 for the pair with free shipping, and appears to be the Dorman product.

When I was a counterman many of the backing plates we carried or were able to get were the two piece type that either bolted together at the top and bottom or had a heavy rivet at the bottom and bolted together at the top, they were made just for the reason of not having to pull the axle to replace them, BUT, this was also in the age of mostly rear drums and the backing plate was a backing plate and not just a dust shield. But, all of the pics I see look to be a single piece unit regardless of the description.

Anyone else?
Thanks, Bill.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Thanks tblazerdude,

I just did the rear brakes, new rotors pads and hardware (I typically get new hardware when I get the other parts as it's cheap insurance for getting the job done without having to get to auto-whoever across town). The parking brake shoes appeared to be a one piece design and looks that way for all offered on RA as well. Carlson is a good brake hardware company, generally made in the USA, and I rarely had an issue with them, they were the last vendor for brake hardware I used to deal with when I last worked a parts counter several years ago and I just used them on the TB and the wifes Sable wagon a few months ago and still seem to be quality parts AND the least expensive on RA to boot. However, IF the existing hardware is in great shape (on the TB the slider pin boots on the rear calipers were) I will clean and lube and reinstall. I'm just a alley/shade tree mechanic, but I do have a nice assortment of tools, never enough of them, but still a nice assortment, so I can do most auto work I need to do here at home.
Also, I did note a very small amount of gear oil leak at the pass axle seal, so as part of a bigger job I'm OK replacing the dust shields, axle seals, and (I know roadie might holler at me) but may do bearings as well while I'm at it, oh and new oil. Oh, and I'll be replacing the RSB links, and hopefully money will allow shocks/struts as well.
YES, I use the parking brake almost every day. I live in Appalachia so you're either parking uphill or down LOL, especially in "my" spot in the driveway.
I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm not a noob at wrenching, I'm just very judicious with how I spend our money because there is so little of it LOL, but seriously, I can't just on a whim do this stuff, which is why I'm asking such specific questions about parts, etc.
Again, thanks for this site!
Bill.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Take a look on youtube, there is a video on how to do rear brake dust shield. Will be a long job

X5rdman

Dec 31, 2012
I just replaced the ebrake shoes. Not a lot of work, just a pain the get the regular brake mounting brackets off! My ebrake had broken and was squealing like crazy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online