Paint Protection Film

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hey everyone its me again,

Just saw one of SaabKyle04's videos where he gets his new Viper coated with Xpel film. So I thought why not get something similar done to my TB. I have noticed my paint ok the front bumper fading away, it seems to have been repainted by the previous owner, hence so, I thought before any more fading occurs it would be a good idea to get it coated and also it would protect the car from dings and minor scratches that may occur in traffic. Although it may be a bit costly than other mods, what are your thoughts? Lemme know

Thanks

EDIT: Will post the link to the video when I find it

Last edited:

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
The clear plastic coating will only accent the faded paint and rock chips. If you're going to pay for all of that labor for a coating, I'd just pick a particular color and have it wrapped. Essentially, it does the same thing. Just my two pennies, though.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
My son bought a new Subaru WRX in 2010. He lives and works in the far north of Alberta, oil fields and rough gravel roads. Within a year his hood was pitted with many rock chips, with rust. Even the plastic bumper cover was peppered with rock chips. He sold it and bought a new F150 in 2014. This time he had the front wrapped in a clear film. Now, 3 years later he has NOT ONE rock chip! This last week he noticed that someone clipped his front bumper corner. The film had a little tear in it and the bumper looks fine underneath.

I don't know how much it cost, but I think it was a few hundred dollars. Much less then he lost in depreciation on the Subaru.

If you have a nice car/truck and drive where rocks chip the paint, have it covered with film.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
The clear plastic coating will only accent the faded paint and rock chips. If you're going to pay for all of that labor for a coating, I'd just pick a particular color and have it wrapped. Essentially, it does the same thing. Just my two pennies, though.

Yep I would have loved to get maybe like a matte black or silver wrapping but the issue over here is to get that done, you would have to go and get my cars plate unregistered and register for a new plate, due to the colour change on the car. I was not thinking labour, maybe diy?!?!

My son bought a new Subaru WRX in 2010. He lives and works in the far north of Alberta, oil fields and rough gravel roads. Within a year his hood was pitted with many rock chips, with rust. Even the plastic bumper cover was peppered with rock chips. He sold it and bought a new F150 in 2014. This time he had the front wrapped in a clear film. Now, 3 years later he has NOT ONE rock chip! This last week he noticed that someone clipped his front bumper corner. The film had a little tear in it and the bumper looks fine underneath.

I don't know how much it cost, but I think it was a few hundred dollars. Much less then he lost in depreciation on the Subaru.

If you have a nice car/truck and drive where rocks chip the paint, have it covered with film.

As I stated its mostly due to some of the paint fading on my TB, and although here we don't have too much to worry about rock chips, on the highways a car gets the particles of sand, as I live in a desert, I am not sure how to say it but stuck or basically sticking to the car and it ruins the finish of the car in that sense

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Yep I would have loved to get maybe like a matte black or silver wrapping but the issue over here is to get that done, you would have to go and get my cars plate unregistered and register for a new plate, due to the colour change on the car. I was not thinking labour, maybe diy?!?

Seriously? ....Even for a temporary color change, like plasti-dip??

Plasti-dip is probably a very good option for you since it's relatively cheap and you can do it yourself. Yes, it's a "pain in the ..." to tape off all of the parts that you don't want sprayed, but any overspray can be peeled or thinned out and removed with ease. The thing about plast-dip is that the more coatings/layers you apply, the easier it is to peel off at a later time. Colors used to be basic, but now you can choose from a whole assortment of them. Metallics, pearls, etc.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Seriously? ....Even for a temporary color change, like plasti-dip??

Plasti-dip is probably a very good option for you since it's relatively cheap and you can do it yourself. Yes, it's a "pain in the ..." to tape off all of the parts that you don't want sprayed, but any overspray can be peeled or thinned out and removed with ease. The thing about plast-dip is that the more coatings/layers you apply, the easier it is to peel off at a later time. Colors used to be basic, but now you can choose from a whole assortment of them. Metallics, pearls, etc.

Sadly yes. Also its very hard to find good Plasti-Dip here as well. Not impossible but still

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online