P013b popped up with check engine ... :-(

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
So winter is over and hopefully so is this "issue". Never got around to changing out the O2 sensor. After cleaning of the MAP along with a few other things, the incidence of this "unusual code" basically disappeared. I suspect as MRRSM had indicated that it is perhaps an "abnormality" associated with the MAP. In some of internet "trails", there appears to be a potential of a GM firmware update which I am thinking perhaps changes what causes the code and maybe even "correctly reports" what it should be.... but that is a guess. I am hoping that it doesn't come back or if it does, does so during better climate conditions.

Reactions: mrrsm

budwich

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
kanata
well my hope turned into a certainty as the code popped out again. :-(
looks like I need to focus on the o2 removal as my renewal date is in june and the "engine light" may be an issue although in ontario, there might a "one code thing" as a "get by". Anyways, the weather is better and "the china tool" showed up after 3 months of waiting (really slow boat)... so hopefully a little / lot of heat will get the darn thing out.... and my hand can reach the connector for the disconnect.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A light and code will fail the e-test. It's the I/M readiness that can have one of the components not be ready to allow a pass.

If the new sensor doesn't fix your problem, then likely your cat is dead but before spending a boatload of money on it, you could try a "cheat" to confirm.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000W1XX4M/?tag=gmtnation-20

What you do after that is between you and your lungs :goodevil:

You could also check the cat using a temperature gun.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FYI - you can get spark plug non-foulers at the parts stores for cheaper than that piece and make your own (just have to drill out the opening of one, and double stack them, but they come in packs of 2).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ya but I like KISS. No drilling and no doubling up. Still cheaper than a cat.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online