NEED HELP P0014 Camshaft Phasing System Malfunction

G8a550

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
2002 Trailblazer I6 w/ 225K miles

CEL came on and over a few days the vehicle has gone from driving normal to a rough idle where it sounds like it might die out and also there is a noise being made (chain?) when car started and during acceleration. Took it to AZ while it still ran well and this is what I got:

Definition
Code P0014 indicates that the Bank 1 Exhaust Camshaft Position timing was advanced beyond limits for a predetermined period of time.

Error Codes Read
P0014 Camshaft Phasing System Malfunction
P0014 Camshaft Phasing System Malfunction

Suggested parts
Timing chain
Timing chain guide
Timing chain tensioner

Now could this be solved by cleaning/replacing the cam actuator solenoid or replacing the camshaft position sensor? Or am I looking at a bigger problem? The timing chain was replaced about 2 years ago. Thanks in advance.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Checking/cleaning the cpas would be a good starting point, as it could cause this issue I think. Is it like bubbly at idle? When I advance mine with the tech 2 it sounds like the valves are open too long, almost like a... I don't really know how to explain it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now could this be solved by cleaning/replacing the cam actuator solenoid or replacing the camshaft position sensor?

Most definitely those should be tried first and as they are usually the culprits. Then, and only then, you should find a shop with a Tech 2, as a last resort, a dealer, to diagnose the cam phaser itself (actual angle commanded vs. what it's doing) but when that is defective, it's usually the P0345 code that it gives. That's the code I got when mine died. Was the phaser replaced when the chain and tensioner were replaced?

G8a550

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Most definitely those should be tried first and as they are usually the culprits. Then, and only then, you should find a shop with a Tech 2, as a last resort, a dealer, to diagnose the cam phaser itself (actual angle commanded vs. what it's doing) but when that is defective, it's usually the P0345 code that it gives. That's the code I got when mine died. Was the phaser replaced when the chain and tensioner were replaced?
I'd have to go back and find the paperwork but if I remember correctly the cam phaser was replaced. The tensioner would not go back after they removed the tool that keeps the tension and that's how I ended up replacing the tensioner and timing chain.

FWIW, it's also been known to jump RPMs while idling for years and years.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That could be caused by a dirty throttle body. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes while pulling it off and cleaning it. Threads are available here on the procedure.

G8a550

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Heres where I am at. I changed the oil and oil filter and started the vehicle and the noise was there for a second and disappeared, but CEL was still on. Let the car idle for a few mins to top off the oil and still no noise. Next I reved the engine and still no noise, CEL still on. After that I pulled out the cam actuator solenoid and the center screen was clogged with little metal shavings. Cleaned it out, reinstalled it, and started it up, still no noise and CEL was now off too. Let it idle for a min and reved it and the noise came back and car died out. Restarted it and still noise but no CEL. Pulled cam actuator solenoid out again to see if it was re-clogged but it was clean. Reinstalled a second time, restarted and still that loud noise and no CEL.

Should I still attempt to install a new cam actuator solenoid and a camshaft position sensor? What could the metal shavings be from? I don't mind spending the money on the parts if there is still a possibility it fixes the problem.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Would you be able to get us a video of the noise?

G8a550

Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Turned out to be an engine bearing failure. RIP my trusty Trailblazer. :cry:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Would certainly explain the metal shavings.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online