Ordered a tune from PCM of NC

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Well finally pulled the trigger and ordered a mail order tune from PCM of NC went with the core program so we can keep daily driving till it gets here. So who else runs there tune? I went pretty basic on the tune with shift increased to 1 and leaving dod enabled since im not burning thru much oil. and 87 octane. Hoping to see a improvement with torque management and towing drive ability. thanks for any comments :smile:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not a V8, but I've been running one of their tunes for about 3 years now. Went initially with a 93 octane tune, but changed it back to 87. Shift firmness 2, and don't notice much of a difference as far as the shifts go. Truck is WAY more fun to drive, and will get-up-and-go when I ask it to. That's probably the biggest difference from stock. :twocents:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree: Carlton

I have been running their tune for a couple years now and it has made a big difference. Makes the TB fun to drive. Since you have a V8, I am sure you already have some get up and go. Increasing the shift firmness (level 2 on mine), removing all torque management, tuning for octane (93 my preference), increasing the rev limiter, and removing the speed limiter made a big difference for my I6.

Plus, if you have an aftermarket intake, exhaust, etc, you can incorporate that into the tune to get the most out of the money spent on parts.

There are claims of MPG improvements, but I have not seen them. Most likely my fault. MPGs did not get worse either, remained about the same. Never seen below 16 mpgs even in the winter. Have reached up to 23.7 mpgs on highway.

Reactions: Blckshdw

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
just wondering now if I should change the transmission firmness up to 2?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Shift firmness level 2, you can actually feel the shifts, but nothing too extreme. I just went with level 2 because it was in between level 1 and level 3. I thought I had read somewhere with level 1, you could not feel or notice a difference :undecided: . Level 2 you can definitely notice/feel a difference.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I tuned my Rainier and messed with the shift firmness quite a bit. I had the notorious 4L60E slide-bump on the 1-2 shift at part throttle so I increased the pressure and decreased the shift time a bit. It was hitting so hard on the 1-2 at part throttle that I could hear the tires scratch with the windows down. I have been trying to alleviate the 1-2 shift problem at part throttle I have had since I bought it and I have it almost there. Every now and then it will shudder a bit on the 1-2 at part throttle but at WOT, or close to, it's nice and quick but not too firm. It's all personal preference to an extent. Of course you don't want it hitting extremely hard but you don't want it soft like it is from the factory. I think you will be fine.

The biggest improvement you will notice is the reduction of torque management. My Rainier felt completely different after taking out half of it. I like to leave some in it for occasions that I do tow with it. Also, I would like the 60E to live as long as it can.

Don't expect to see to notice a huge seat of the pants feel power wise. I noticed the TM decrease the most.

FWIW, I average a little over 18 mpg with a 80/20 mix of highway and town. Before the tune it was pretty similar. I don't drive mine very hard though.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I've had great experience with PCM of NC. Got the first tune up on my Envoy and enjoyed every minute of it feeling alive up until I had to trade it in. I had them tune the PCM for my Avalanche and will be looking into getting another done for our 05 Trailblazer Ext (V8). I'm still contemplating about having AFM disabled.....I can't feel/tell if it switches between the two modes and it doesn't burn oil either so I may just leave that alone.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For the AFM, ever since I've disabled it (via unplugging the brake booster vacuum sensor), my oil use has gone way down and is not as dirty. I used to feel it. It was an oh so slight bump. I'll be getting it tuned out permanently soon. The early years were troublesome and will eventually fail.

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
I went with shift firmness level 2. As for the AFM I enjoy getting 23-24mpg or 9.8l/100km to much out on the highway to disable it.

Reactions: dmanns67

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another thing to consider is having the PWM TCC turned off. In other words, have the TCC engage without the slip and slide PWM to wear out the TCC.

Reactions: Snowbum34

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romat

Members Online