Opinions?

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
alright so I desperately need shocks and struts on my tb, I am wanting to buy ones that I can use once I lift mine a little. I am not going crazy amounts of lift, just a 3" suspension lift probably not a body lift. Right now I have some Bilstein ones in my cart just because they are the most popular name I hear. Will these work or are there different ones I should be looking at. Here are the ones that I am looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRYNBN4/?tag=gmtnation-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYNJAPS/?tag=gmtnation-20

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
They should work with no problems. How far out until you get your lift?

Reactions: tsmith1156

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sorry I got interrupted by the kids while I was typing. The rear shocks will work with the lift for the most part. I would not really want to take the front apart more than once though.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You might actually want to look at Bilstein 5100 like this for the rear. I have the 2" lift and my rear HD's are topping out...in fact I think I've toasted them and will have to replace them shortly.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Sorry I got interrupted by the kids while I was typing. The rear shocks will work with the lift for the most part. I would not really want to take the front apart more than once though.

That's fine, I understand how that is haha. Is the front that bad to do?

You might actually want to look at Bilstein 5100 like this for the rear. I have the 2" lift and my rear HD's are topping out...in fact I think I've toasted them and will have to replace them shortly.

Would the 5100s work while I'm still stock?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its not fun up front.

Yes they will

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You're a couple hours from me, but if you want, I do have this handy thing in my garage that is so much better than the rental spring compressors. We could do the lift here.

20160709_120630_zpsefkivnrq.jpg

If you're looking to do the lift for sure, I'd put up with your current shocks until then. Doing them multiple times isn't fun as mentioned just because of the amount of work involved for the front.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Its not fun up front.

Yes they will

Oh joy, I guess I'll wait haha

You're a couple hours from me, but if you want, I do have this handy thing in my garage that is so much better than the rental spring compressors. We could do the lift here.

If you're looking to do the lift for sure, I'd put up with your current shocks until then. Doing them multiple times isn't fun as mentioned just because of the amount of work involved for the front.

All of you guys are making me want to wait so I guess I will haha. Where are you at?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine

That thing looks scary unsafe... You use it yet?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks better than the hand ones I usually use

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oh joy, I guess I'll wait haha

All of you guys are making me want to wait so I guess I will haha. Where are you at?

Mansfield.

That thing looks scary unsafe... You use it yet?

What's so unsafe about it? Hydraulic, holds around 2/3 of the spring instead of just a couple spots, uses a safety chain. Yes, I used it when I replaced the front shocks on my Silverado (2007.5 and up 1/2 ton 4x4 uses a front coil over shock similar to the TB instead of torsion bars). Was a lot easier and a billion times faster than using those rental store jobs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still extremely wary around those springs.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Mansfield.

What's so unsafe about it? Hydraulic, holds around 2/3 of the spring instead of just a couple spots, uses a safety chain. Yes, I used it when I replaced the front shocks on my Silverado (2007.5 and up 1/2 ton 4x4 uses a front coil over shock similar to the TB instead of torsion bars).

I'm not sure where that is, I'm guessing up north

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Take 71 north out of Columbus about 50-ish miles.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'd go with these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYNJ7KG/?tag=gmtnation-20 because Hardtrailz recommended to me a resting height of about 15" and an extended of 25". The ones you link to are about 2" longer, not that I know if it would make a difference. Hopefully Hard will jump in and say for sure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Matts link is the link to the exact ones I bought and have on my truck.

Reactions: Matt and tsmith1156

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I'd go with these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BYNJ7KG/?tag=gmtnation-20 because Hardtrailz recommended to me a resting height of about 15" and an extended of 25". The ones you link to are about 2" longer, not that I know if it would make a difference. Hopefully Hard will jump in and say for sure.

Thank you

Matts link is the link to the exact ones I bought and have on my truck.

That works, if Kyle is running them they must be great!

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I snapped up an open box set and am quite glad i did!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Amazon...that exact link. Warehouse deal or whatever they call it. I watched em for awhile and just searched by part number to see which vendor had best deal.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
60 or 65 each I think. It was like 20 dollar saving and free shipping w Prime.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I definitely noticed an improvement over the BDS/Rough Country/Skyjacker shocks everyone says to get. Well worth it to me. Wish i had done it earlier.

Reactions: djthumper

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
None. I run the Radflos. I had the Bilstein HD and doubt i would use anything else since they worked so well.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Oh ya, I can't afford those right now haha. Are the HDs the ones I have linked up top? I want to tack down some z71 springs or I'm gonna run skyjackers I guess @HARDTRAILZ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
4 inch lift give or take. If you are not doing a body lift you wont be close to 6-10. I can fit in a 7 foot garage door without the roof rack

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Do just the body lift and keep your COG lower while it is the daily driver then.

Plus who knows if the body lift will disappear again.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Do just the body lift and keep your COG lower while it is the daily driver then.

Plus who knows if the body lift will disappear again.

Really? I just figured the suspension would look better by itself than just the body lift

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If its about looks then forget about half the info in this thread and slap some cheap parts on it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online