NEED HELP Opinions on broken hardware... I broke some thing.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Afternoon gents. I've been spending my weekend doing control arm bushings in the truck. Long story short it was going rather smoothly. Until the rust struck on the last damn bolt I had to remove. It happens to be the outer lower control arm bracket bolt so it was some what accessible at least. Story is impact wouldn't do it. That's when I got scared. So I took a breaker bar and a 4 foot pipe to extend it then yanked with all my might and... snap. My guesstimate is 8-900 lb-ft of force exerted on the poor thing. Well beyond the impacts ability. Then I was left with most of the bolt still in there so I air hammered it and was left with this.
20170507_170501-1008x756.jpg 20170507_170431-756x1008.jpg
So I now have a clean hole at least. What I'm trying to figure out is if that hardware is even available or if I should just look for something comparable. I would have thought it was welded but it seems to be pressed/friction. I'm going to browse the internet later for parts but at the moment I am trying to finish up the bushing removal. Any help is much appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Should be available from the dealer new. If not, then a used one from a pick-a-pull?

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Well that is it, I can't find a part number from a breakdown. In fact I can't even find it. I am thinking the yard may be the way to go. Or it mysteriously disappears off the envoy. At any rate I am scared to put it back together missing that bolt. I'll hit up a dealership tomorrow but i'll continue searching now to see if I can come up with anything. If it were just the bolt and I could save the nut I'd grab a bolt but being as the old one is rusted into that nut I don't think I can save it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are some things that they can access that we mere mortals can't. They use a different parts system.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I really don't feel like crawling under a car in a lot. Will do. I found the bolt so there is that. I'll hit up the dealer in the morning and get it sorted out.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
Are you talking about number 23 and 12? The part number is 11516382 for the nut and 11561300 for the bolt. The bolt dimensions are M14X2X101. If I'm looking at the wrong thing let me know, I can find the right one.
Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 10.04.35 PM.png

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Are you talking about number 23 and 12? The part number is 11516382 for the nut and 11561300 for the bolt. The bolt dimensions are M14X2X101. If I'm looking at the wrong thing let me know, I can find the right one.
View attachment 80839
It's actually number 14, the one that clamps the bracket to the frame. Or even 40.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
No PN on the nut though right? It's a funky looking thing. Atleast if the dealer can't produce I can find it. Thank you.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
I don't see one. Was it tack welded in originally? But yeah, you should be able to get a nut no problem. My dealer shows that they have one of those bolts in stock so it must be pretty common for it to break. Even more so up here in Wisconsin.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
It looks like a normal nut but it has a raised portion slightly smaller that looks like it just gets pressed in. There is no visible welding marks that I can see. You can see the raised portion I am referring to in the picture. I'm going to try to salvage the nut if I can. Have to see how creative I can get.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Got the bolt ordered. Still sourcing a nut. Local yards don't let you walk around and pull parts but the one that does has no 360s. I think I may be sol

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Mapp gas and vise grips ftw.
20170508_152712-756x1008.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That nut normally stays in the frame, either welded or held there. That's probably why you can't find it.

I'm surprised that bolt rusted out like that. It's a big one.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
That nut normally stays in the frame, either welded or held there. That's probably why you can't find it.

I'm surprised that bolt rusted out like that. It's a big one.
It makes zero sense why it went like it did. It looked like it was submerged in water for a long time. The area where it snapped was about half the thickness of the actual bolt. As far as staying in the frame it seems like it was a press fit. I can't find any welding marks. One yard had a truck but wouldn't let me pull it off. It was a salvage yard so I'm wondering if the truck could have been saved and they didn't want to deal with it. At any rate I saved my nut without hacking up the threads so once I get the bolt tomorrow it should be good to go. Unless I break something else.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Huh. Even my rustbucket didn't have that problem.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Well you just yanked on the control arm and pulled it out right?

Reactions: Capote

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those are high strength carbon steel bolts. Maybe that one was sourced from a Ford recycling plant.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
I figured it was casehardened when it burned out my drill bit when I tried to drill it out. Its done and all back together now though so all is well in the world. Just need to get her aligned.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online