Old Oil's affect on Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Last year when I needed and oil change I started getting Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid fault codes but had no driveabililty problems at all. I changed the oil and the light disappeared until I needed another oil change.

This time it ran fine until one morning it started idling really rough (wanted to stall), flashing SES light at idle (missing), and hesitating. I drove it for a bit (3 miles) and the light starting flashing (telling me its missing but I could not feel it, it was running smooth) all the time.

I took it home to see if I needed to clean the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid but after I restarted it if would idle rough but no flashing light when driving so i took it to get an oil change.
I had stored a multiple misfire code, crank sensor code, and a MAP code.

Immediately after I got the truck back, I had not even left the parting lot, the light shut off (on its own) and its been fine now for a week.

Should I be thinking about changing the solenoid, if old oil effects it that bad? It was down maybe 3/4 of a qt, had 7K on it monitor showed 33%.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wouldn't think old oil would effect that... maybe if it's thinning enough and a sensor is going out. Is there oil in the plug on the solenoid?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You don't mention what your present Mileage is but with an aging engine... letting your Oil Changes go beyond 3,000 Miles and not using Mobil1 5W30 Motor Oil (0W30 if it is Very Cold where you are)...is just asking for trouble. Like Human Blood... Engine Motor Oil is designed to act as an absorber of particles of Dirt and Carbon that will remain suspended in the fluid stream...and it is there .as in the case of the CPAS... that an accumulation and clogging effect is almost guaranteed to occur wherever there is either a narrow space or a screens designed like the ones that keep large pieces of Crap from entering and clogging up the VVT Camshaft Actuator (Cam Phaser).

The first thing to check for externally...is for the presence of any Motor Oil ( Black, Oily Dirt) on or inside of the Electrical Connector that services the CPAS. If you see any oil present... The CPAS is BAD and must be replaced with an OEM Quality one. The VVT is regulated to adjust the Exhaust Camshaft by as much as 25 Degrees of retardation at idle and in this manner it reduces Valve Overlap...and eliminates the need for an EGR Valve.

The CPAS is usually able to work in concert with the CKP (Crankshaft Position Sensor) which get its signals of timing from the notches in a Reluctor Ring on the Crankshaft and from the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) that is situated in the front upper Engine Head and it gets its signals from the Reluctor Notches on the VVT CAM Phaser.... showing the difference between the position of the Timing Chain Gears to the ACTUAL position that the CPAS has adjusted the Exhaust Camshaft itself. They must work as a Team...with the PCM deciding what to do with their three inputs to manage the behavior of the Engine.

The PCM is constantly receiving information from All Three Sensors (CPAS, CPS & CKP) and uses their data to decide how to control the Engine through the full range of its operational RPM. But.... If the OIL IS TOO THICK, TOO DIRTY... OR ITS VISCOSITY IS ALTERED BY EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES... Then the CPAS cannot allow the Engine Oil to Flow in--> and out<-- of the CAMSHAFT ACTUATOR (CAM Phaser)...and this will result in the Exhaust Camshaft NOT being adjusted PROPERLY during various levels of RPM to suit its control of the Engine Power...especially at idle... when the Exhaust Camshaft needs to be in a "withdrawn" position.

Last edited:

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I checked the connector today its dry no oil leaking.

The truck has 91K on it. The common thread between the last 2 oil changes was Valvoline. This time it has Quaker State.

I just found it strange that its fine one trip and the very next trip its running terrible, Change the oil and its fine again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe the cam phaser is getting gummed up. Any codes at all? When mine was dying, I would get a P0345. Maybe an engine flush might help.

Reactions: smt 59

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Before I changed to synthetic oil I was having the same issue when I was at about 36K miles. I also don't have the oil life light so I kind of used that as my gauge, even when under 3K. I did a flush not knowing how well it was taken care of before me.

Reactions: mrrsm

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I took the timing solenoid out today. the middle screen has some "schmutz" on it but was in tact along with the inner most screen (farthest from the electrical plug end). The outer most screen was gone entirely and the black plastic end fell out when I took the solenoid out.

questions?
1) has anyone had luck with aftermarket solenoids? (rock auto)
2) which is OEM delphi or ACdelco? Delphi used to be GM
3) should I be concerned as to where the screen went? It was NOT in the hole.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hopefully that screen wound up in the pan or oil filter. Probably that's the reason the new ones now have a wire around the screen to retain it. Delphi is good, which is the one that GM sells. ACDelco should also be good. Haven't heard anything about Dorman but their reputation with anything electrical is not good.

Reactions: mrrsm

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
What you are describing sounds more electrical in nature than oil. How old is your battery? When you got the flashing CIL what was the outside temperature?

Aside from the rough idle I had similar issues in Dec with my Sierra. Temps were around zero. Turned out is was a bad battery. Only 3.5 years so far as I could tell. It was only charging to 12.8 volts and forcing the alternator to run over 15 volts just to keep up. The PCM and various sensors were not getting enough juice to operate properly.

That said you may want to test your battery before you do anything else.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.