Oil selection at 163k miles

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
My high mileage Envoy (163k) has been serviced with 5W30 dino oil most of its life. Switched to Mobil 1 last change thinking it might prolong its useful service. Advanced Auto parts has rotating brand, killer deals on oil and filters. Just bought 5 qt Valvoline full synthetic with a Bosch Distance Plus for $31 before the $7 mail in rebate for my wife's van. Wondering if a designated "high mileage" dino oil offers more benefits than a synthetic at this late date. Probably not willing to spring for higher priced synthetics like Amsoil and Royal Purple. Any thoughts welcome.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have used the Mobil 1 truck and SUV formula and the high mileage formula... I haven't noticed any difference. I think the only way to know would be to send a sample of each one in for analysis.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I agree that you'll probably never know if one is better than the other without sending the oil out for analysis. I bet a lot of the "high mileage" oils have more to do with marketing spin than actually having any significant differences in the oil. The most important thing is to choose a good quality oil that matches what the manufacturer recommends. Just my :twocents:

Dec 4, 2011
Noticed that you originate from Florida.

One of the biggest advantages to synthetics is the viscosity at low temps. Up here at -35 oil gets a lot like runny honey. Helps get the lubrication going sooner thereby prolonging engine life.

I also like the extended drain feature, lower environmental impact of less use oil.

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Thanks for the replies. Will probably go back to a good 5W30 dino oil, continue to use a high end filter and change out somewhere between 30 - 40% on the oil life monitor. Don't exactly have a low temp viscosity issue down here :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Simon01 said:
I agree that you'll probably never know if one is better than the other without sending the oil out for analysis. I bet a lot of the "high mileage" oils have more to do with marketing spin than actually having any significant differences in the oil. The most important thing is to choose a good quality oil that matches what the manufacturer recommends. Just my :twocents:

Oddly enough the high mileage stuff is the same price (at least around here). There are a few differences in additive packages that were possibly more beneficial to my old car (certain amounts of stuff was better for the older engine). I don't recall all the details, but that engine did do a little better with the Mobil 1 HM vs regular Mobil 1. Slightly better mpg, a little less valve noise, etc. The Trailblazer however didn't seem to care... heck it doesn't seem to care about a lot of things. The old car ran best and had the highest mpg on BP gas, while the Trailblazer acts the same and gets the same mpg (within the margin of error) regardless of what brand of fuel I put in it.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i had read somewhere that the high mileage stuff was supposed to help your seals like the rear main and front cover, valve stem seals, etc

i've heard of people using a 40wt oil in high mileage cars if the oil pressure is dropping due to bearing wear. unfortunately in an i6 tb you won't know what the oil pressure is unless you hook up a mechanical gauge

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I've read the high mileage oil has additives that help the seals expand if that makes sense.
If I was leaking I might would try it.
If I was at 163k with no issues I would either run a quality dino or synthetic 5w30 and be done with it.
I've run synthetic in mine since 15k. I'm at 94k now expecting a lot more miles!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
At just a few miles less, I continue to run the cheapest oil I can find. Have had no issues. I prefer to spend my money on better things than oil....like beer to drink while changing the oil.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online