Oil Pressure Climbing

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
When driving my daughter to school this morning, I noticed that as the RPM's increased so did the oil pressure. It would shoot up to the first thick line after 40 very quickly, but as I drove it more it went up slower and not as much. When I got back to the house, I reved the engine some and it went up but not as much as it had originally. I have a 2004 TB with 125k miles on the 5.3 V8. I did an oil change about 6 weeks ago and it has been fine including on a vacation to Hampton beach NH. (Around 300 miles round trip.) I have a video showing it going up sitting in the driveway but keep getting a unsupported format error when I try to upload it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Increased RPM increasing oil PSI is normal, and cold PSI being higher than warm as well, though I'm not sure what is considered "normal" increase. I'll have to look at my gauge more in my truck (5.3L also). What filter and oil do you use, and is it the same stuff you've been using in the past?

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
I used Castrol Edge Full Synthetic and a bosch distance + oil filter. It's the first time I've changed the oil in it. I usually watch the gauges like a hawk and never noticed it climbing before.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds normal to me. You might also notice that it doesn't go as high when it's really hot out, with A/C running and temp a little higher than usual. It's really low or no oil pressure I would worry about.

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
Thank you both for the responses. It's great to have a place where questions are answered quickly. Now if you could find me a job I'd be all set.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher