Oil leak from block off gasket

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
After noticing a small amount of oil on my garage floor underneath my 2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L, I took it into the dealership to get checked out. First time I would use my extended, no-deductible service contract. Turns out, it's coming from the block off gasket up near the oil pan. The dealership service center said that my service contract does not cover repairs to this type of gasket. They did replace a rear door lock actuator and key fob for free though.

The gasket looks to be about $5.00. GM Part# 12611384. The dealer wants $160 to change the gasket out. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to do myself? Any special tools required? I can't imagine it's any harder than changing the engine oil. Would like to do it myself but I'm not finding much on the procedure. Any help is appreciated.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Although I'm not familiar with this, I would push more to get it done under warranty. No satisfaction at the dealer, call GM customer service. I mean like, really? It's just $160!?! It's not like you're asking to replace the engine.

eightshot627

Aug 8, 2012
If it's like my 2001 5.3l. It simple 2 bolts. 2 port like your post if you have a oil cooler and an oval if you just have a block off plate like mine did. When changing your oil. Drain the oil and pull the filter. Remove the 2 bolts I can't remember if it was 10 or 8mm. Pull the gasket. Make sure it's clean and reinstall. Finish your oil change. Very easy.

Walt

Last edited:

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
If it's like my 2001 5.3l. It simple 2 bolts. 2 port like your post if you have a oil cooler and an oval if you just have a block off plate like mine did. When changing you oil. Drain the oil and pull the filter. Remove the 2 bolts I can't remember if it was 10 or 8mm. Pull the gasket. Make sure it's clean and reinstall. Finish you oil change. Very easy.

Walt
I haven't climbed under the truck yet but I can't imagine it's that difficult to do. I don't have the oil cooler and the first part number I mentioned was correct (GM Part# 12611384). Just purchased it from the dealer for $3.99. The Victor Reinz part B31872 is most likely for the oil cooler option. I have 3K miles left on my current oil change so I'll wait as it's not leaking like a sieve. Thanks again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online