O2 sensors

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Recently bought an '06 Silverado; crew cab, 5.3, 4X4- with around 112.5k. CEL came on and took it to have it scanned. Said that all 4 O2 sensors are bad, and the vapor canister vent solenoid crapped out, too. I already have the solenoid, so my question is; Is there any difference between upstream and downstream sensors, can I buy 4 of the same sensors and use them, or do I have to purchase 2 downs and 2 ups?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I believe there is so you would be better to order the proper ones. But my big question would be why would all four quit at the same time as well as the vent solenoid? Sounds like a wiring issue, something that is common to all of these. Maybe the 5V or ground for them.

Do you have the exact codes?

Reactions: Blackwater

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Not as of this moment. I'm getting ready to hit town in a few. I'll stop and have them rechecked and write the codes down.

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
The fellow I bought it from had told me about the solenoid, but I had it scanned anyway. Solenoid popped up, and all 4 O2's were "pending".

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are different codes for each O2 sensor. Having the exact codes could help pinpoint the problem.

Reactions: MAY03LT

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I agree. The odds of all 4 going bad at the same time are pretty slim. I'd be looking for a common circuit fault before replacing all 4 sensors.

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
The codes I can remember are- P0030, P0053, P0134, P0449.

Even if only 1 or 2 of the O2s are bad, probably be better off to change them all out.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The first 3 codes all point to the same O2 sensor. Sounds like it is just unplugged or a harness issue.

P0030 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0053 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0134 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Sensor 1 Bank 1

P0449 Evaporative Emission Vent Valve Solenoid malfunction

Likely unrelated to the first three. Apparently could just be a bad gas cap so worth checking that first. But likely just change the valve solenoid.

Reactions: triz

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No need to replace the second sensor if it's not throwing a code. It seldom fails.

Deano

Original poster
Dec 24, 2012
Fellow said that the bad sensor would likely kill my mileage. Asked me what I averaged, I said 13.2 is what my DIC tells me. Told me that if I changed it out that the mileage would probably go to between 15 and 17.

My 4wd switch is starting to act up now. Red neutral light got to blinking this morning. Got to place an order with the Rock.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes, it would. A dead upstream sensor will impact mpg by a fair bit and, if left long enough, can cause other issues eventually as well.

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
I agree with there being a common issue. On the systems I work on I skip the first test and go to the second or third and they usually have a list of parts and look for the common one between the two or three test.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online

No members online now.