Now it won't start

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
I have a remote start and I used it today and it started fine. I went out to get in and put the key in but didn't turn it to start position and put my foot on the brake and of course in cut off like it's supposed to do - I've done this before and all I had to do was to start it with the key like normal and it would start right up. This time when I went to start it with the key, all it will do now is crank and the indicator light with the down arrow in a picture of an engine block displays. I was on my way to work so I didn't have time to mess with it. Any idea what might have happened and might it have something to do with the remote start itself. Do those remote starts sometimes cause other problems ??

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Could use some more info like make, model, engine, mileage. What is the brand and model of the remote start and bypass module. How long has the remote start been installed? Did you or a shop install the remote start?

When you say, "All it will do is crank," meaning your engine will turn over with the key, but will not start? Does the remote starter no longer work?

The fault indicator that you are describing is the Reduced Engine Power light. Have you noticed a reduction in power and not being able to get up to speed, feels sluggish? Do you by chance have a code reader that you can plug into the OBDii to see if there are any stored codes? That might be a good starting point. Also, that indicator might come on if there is a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) per the owner's manual.

I am not sure how the remote start would be the cause of your issue.

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Could use some more info like make, model, engine, mileage. What is the brand and model of the remote start and bypass module. How long has the remote start been installed? Did you or a shop install the remote start?

When you say, "All it will do is crank," meaning your engine will turn over with the key, but will not start? Does the remote starter no longer work?

The fault indicator that you are describing is the Reduced Engine Power light. Have you noticed a reduction in power and not being able to get up to speed, feels sluggish? Do you by chance have a code reader that you can plug into the OBDii to see if there are any stored codes? That might be a good starting point. Also, that indicator might come on if there is a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) per the owner's manual.

I am not sure how the remote start would be the cause of your issue.
Yeah, after I got off site I realized I left off important info ..DUHH !
I have an 05 Envoy 4.2 with 167,000 miles. It's been running just fine and started with the remote start w/o trouble. The remote start has been on the car for over 8 years. I bought the remote start from a store and had someone install it at my house who has electrical/mech. abilities and its been fine all these years. I don't know the brand. I only bring it up b/c it happened right after it kicked off due to me not turning the key to run before hitting the brake. I turned the key to restart it almost immediately after it shut off then all it would do is crank and not turn over and it didn't sound all that "healthy" while cranking either. I tried using the remote start again and it worked .. that is to say it tried to start the car but was unsuccessful. It tries on it's own a couple times and then shuts off if its unsuccessful. Im at work now but when I get home in the AM, I'll investigate the make and info of the remote start and report. Never had the reduced engine pwr light come on before. Throttle body was cleaned awhile back ( prolly could use it again ) and the plugs were changed at 100,000. Sure could use some ideas.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wonder of it possibly tripped something in the security system... shouldn't have but maybe it did. It is also possible the fuel pump could have died at that very moment or a fuse blew... theres a lot of things that could've happened... and it was just coincidence.

tcurlee

Original poster
Mar 28, 2015
Well, I got home home this morning and attempted to start it. It started right up w/o any problems and ran fine except the check eng light was on. weird !! I hooked up the scan tool and got a P1516 & P2101, throttle actuator control module & throttle actuator control motor circut range/ performance. I cancelled the check eng codes and took it out for a drive. No drivability issues at all and no CEL . I even used the remote start a couple times and kicked it off with the brake, trying to recreate what I did before.... all is well so far. Just a fluke I suppose. I'll keep you all posted if it should decide to act up again. Thanks for the replies.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Internal PCM codes that have set and the internal compensation adjustments that the PCM has had to use to adapt to this problem must be purged and a Re-Learn and Re-Set condition must be done by a GM Tech II Computer or its equivalent and re-programmed for the New Throttle Body Unit.

Just a correction on this. On our platform, disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, as when cleaning the throttle body, will reset the PCM's parameters. Hence the reason why you have to clean the TB when you disconnect the battery.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online