Noise when moving (possible wheel bearing)/Traction control and 4x4 light.

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
So when I am driving down the road there is a hum that sounds sort of like the trans needs to shift, which of corse it doesn't. I had the tire place double check that my tires wern't the cause and they concluded that although they need rotated they should not be the cause.

I had a lumina once that needed a wheel bearing and it started out sounding similar. The noise seems (to me anyways) get louder/change when turning to the right. I also feel it vibrating in the gas pedal.

Any sugestions on what it could be before I take it into the shop to have them look at it.

Also when I start my truck a lot of times the traction control light and or the 4x4 not working light (for get what that box is called that enables 4 wheel drive) comes on and I have to put it in park turn it off then turn it back on and everything works again. Not sure what that is about either.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
acpowell said:
The noise seems (to me anyways) get louder/change when turning to the right.
Classic symptom of a dying driver's side bearing. Less chance it's a passenger bearing acting as a ventriloquist and the problem is really on the right. Many, many discussions about changing them if you're a DIY'er. Search for "timken" and "wheel bearings".

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
the roadie said:
Classic symptom of a dying driver's side bearing. Less chance it's a passenger bearing acting as a ventriloquist and the problem is really on the right. Many, many discussions about changing them if you're a DIY'er. Search for "timken" and "wheel bearings".

Uhg, the whole wheel stud housing needs replaced, that is anoying and a half. Well atleast my suspisions were confirmed. Guess I will take it to the shop since that is way more work than I want to do in a michigan winter.

thanks for the responce.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online