sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
I think I have it available now...thanks

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nope.

BUT if you have narrowed the sound down to the compressor then it will likely need replaced. Very little serviceability on them, no clutch rebuild kits available last I heard.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Nope.

BUT if you have narrowed the sound down to the compressor then it will likely need replaced. Very little serviceability on them, no clutch rebuild kits available last I heard.

dang...I was hoping it was like my old truck where you could pull it and replace the bearing. if that's what it is...thanks anyway

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Do some research. I think it's been well discussed somewhere here about locating a bearing for it or talk about trying to at least. Been a year or so since I read anything about it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Saw the video, doesn't sound abnormal to me unless mic isn't picking it up right.

If it was the pulley bearing, it would make the noise all the time, on or off. I do believe it is available and there is a write-up on the OS:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=53918

If it's clutch slippage (which is not what it looks or sounds like in the video), you can usually cure that by removing the shim on the shaft. You can see it in the write-up.

Anything in the compressor itself or the clutch magnet, you're in for a replacement.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When my bearing went it made noise only while disengaged. Once the clutch engaged it stopped making noise. It was pretty easy to feel the bearing was messed up. The noise it made while driving was like a whining power steering pump and it only did it between 1800-3000 rpms. You know, where the car spends most of its time. It's hard to tell from the video but it could possibly be a bearing or maybe slippage? If it were me I'd first check pressures on the system and then go from there because on the vette at least, a slight over or under charge makes it sound like parts are about to let loose.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Saw the video, doesn't sound abnormal to me unless mic isn't picking it up right.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=53918

If it's clutch slippage (which is not what it looks or sounds like in the video), you can usually cure that by removing the shim on the shaft. You can see it in the write-up......
So it's ok to run without that shim?.....just making sure I understand.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes. As the clutch wears, the gap increases so removing the shim brings it back to spec and makes it easier for the magnet to pull in the clutch.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
thanks Mooseman! will pull it and see what happens. still blowing cold now...hoping to keep it that way for a while

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online