No more wood!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had it with the fake wood in the 9-7x so I used fake carbon fiber. Turned out pretty good, just need to touch up a bit on the doors. Even did the shifter handle, which actually looked worn out. I just have around the shifter left to do, which will be more difficult.

20150607_194255_resized_1.jpg
20150607_200137_resized_1.jpg
20150607_203146_resized_2.jpg
20150607_210145_resized_2.jpg
20150607_210125_resized_2.jpg
20150607_210132_resized_2.jpg

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I have considered doing the same with my fake looking wood as well. Got a roll of carbon fiber wrap sitting in the closet. Something i have also thought about doing was hand painting the control panels with black paint as close to the control graphics as possible.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Totally unrelated but I just noticed... Does the 9-7x have a different column? Looks like you have a second stick off the column and your rear wiper switch is where the headlight switch is on the other GMT360s.

Reactions: Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well done. Looks nice!

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Sparky said:
Totally unrelated but I just noticed... Does the 9-7x have a different column? Looks like you have a second stick off the column and your rear wiper switch is where the headlight switch is on the other GMT360s.
You are correct. The stick on the right side is the windshield wiper control. The left stick controls the headlights, foglights, and cruise control. The key goes in the center console. Also the DIC controls are on the dash board.

I'm still getting used to it.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Correct. The 9-7x has a totally different layout. Took me a while to remember that the key doesn't go into the steering column, still do it once in a while. I miss the Big Gulp cup holder in my TB. Wish I could swap it out.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Doing the big center one was a PITA. I actually screwed it up around the useless cup holder. Also did the shift, which was the easiest.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Hope you used that primer for the edges and corners, tight places.. Heard of it lifting in summer heat without it.

Idk what brand you used but I know 3M has a primer for their di-noc vinyl

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Primer? What primer? I got this stuff from Fleabay, shipped from good 'ol China.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It does have some pretty good stick to it. We shall see...

paulcmartin

May 13, 2013
My envoy came with the CF trim package. I love it, especially when I see everyone with the wood interior.

Reactions: Mooseman

envoybilly

Jul 29, 2015
hahahaha I just switched mine from carbon fiber to wood from a xl i bought for a parts truck. I like it better. if I get bored of it I just switch it back.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I see wood, I think "station wagon" I'm more into the blacked out look.

Reactions: Mounce

Cerberus

Sep 7, 2015
I was thinking of painting my panels summit white to match the exterior of my envoy but it would be nice to see what it would look like before I actually did it. I whipped up a quick photoshop deal to see what it may look like. I don't know I kinda like it...
x07gm_en002.jpg

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It doesn't do it for me. If possibly the seats were white, it might work. There's nothing inside to tie into it.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Cerberus said:
I was thinking of painting my panels summit white to match the exterior of my envoy but it would be nice to see what it would look like before I actually did it. I whipped up a quick photoshop deal to see what it may look like. I don't know I kinda like it...
x07gm_en002.jpg
That looks badass bro, to it! If you do, use Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint, you can get it from any auto parts place. I just repainted my center console flat black, it looks OEM man

Cerberus

Sep 7, 2015
Mooseman said:
It doesn't do it for me. If possibly the seats were white, it might work. There's nothing inside to tie into it.
I see where your coming from and white leather would be sweet but on mine the trim around the window buttons is also wood grain so I think there are enough accent panels that would add a good amount of white to the interior. And hey anythings better then the wood grain...
Capote said:
That looks badass bro, to it! If you do, use Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint, you can get it from any auto parts place. I just repainted my center console flat black, it looks OEM man
Thanks for the tip! I'm guessing the vinyl paint will flex with the panels without cracking cause when putting those back in i'm assuming they probably won't go back in without a fight.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Cerberus said:
Thanks for the tip! I'm guessing the vinyl paint will flex with the panels without cracking cause when putting those back in i'm assuming they probably won't go back in without a fight.
Yup its not like paint at all, actually has flexibility. I have to redo my entire cargo area. I did everything back there in Krylon paint that had primer mixed with it. Cracked on the panels while it was in storage while I was in Germany 4 months. Everything else is Plastidipped, which would be the vents, B pillars, glove box, and drivers knee bolster. Gonna redo all those though with the Vinyl paint just so it all is color matched even though it all still looks great. Door panels and dash bezel are actually from 2 SS's so those are legit OEM black.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How about white carbon fiber?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Mooseman said:
How about white carbon fiber?
That'd be cool, don't see that often at all

Cerberus

Sep 7, 2015
Thats not a bad idea, didn't really think white carbon fiber was a thing but after googling it, does look pretty sexy! Now I just wish my interior was black instead of grey cause the contrast of white carbon on black looks amazing

Reactions: Mooseman and Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online