Nitrogen vs Air: your thoughts

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Nitrogen does prevent weather checking (but on the inside of the tire only :smile: ).

Also, if anyone is curious, the reason it is used in aircraft tires is because they can get hot enough in operation that the rubber is above the flash point of rubber in a compressed atmosphere, and can literally catch fire from the inside if filled with air (this is only on jets...tire temps of 350-400 degrees farenheit aren't uncommon on the takeoff roll just due to friction at high ground speeds) .

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
A majour law enforcement publication that I am mildly familiar with has scheduled an article on nitrogen-filled tires for their police vehicles issue in January.

They call it the consumer scam of the decade. (It might be a slight exaggeration.)

It explains how oxygen molecules are only 3% smaller than nitrogen molecules, and ten million molecules can fit into an area the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Saying nitrogen molecules are bigger and less prone to leakage would be like saying one can drain the Hudson River faster with a coffee cup than a thimble.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
After readin this entire post.. why do i feel like there is going to be a test??:raspberry:
ANY thread that has my technical attention might erupt into a quiz at any moment. :wink:

Fire06 said:
Waiting for your Jan. update Chickenhawk
Me, too! :yes:

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I can always post a draft version of the article in here, with the understanding it may change at the editor stage.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Doing some research on other things I cam across this article

The pressure in nitrogen filled tires will change when the temperature changes, just as it does with air filled tires, because nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner. For example, when your vehicle is parked it will lose a similar amount of pressure for every 10 degree change in temperature, whether the tires are filled with nitrogen or air.

The calculations for this change are based on the Ideal Gas Law. A good rule of thumb is this: For every 10 F degree change in temperature, the pressure will change by 1.9%. If a tire is filled to 32 psi at a temperature of 75 F degrees and the temperature drops 10 degrees, the tire pressure will drop to 31.4 psi; a difference of .6 psi. If a 100 psi tire is filled at 75 F degrees and the temperature drops 10 degrees, the tire pressure will drop to 98.1 psi; a difference of .9 psi.

These fluctuations will occur as the temperature rises and falls no matter what the inflation gas. Fortunately, tire manufacturers are well aware of these conditions and design their tires and recommend their cold inflation pressure accordingly.

However, nitrogen does not contain the moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air so, as you drive and the tires heat up, nitrogen filled tires will fluctuate less in temperature and pressure than air filled tires while driving. The bottom line is, you will still see pressure changes with nitrogen but, overall, your tires will run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than if they were filled with air.

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

Moisture content seems to have a larger effect on pressure changes.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
blazinlow89 said:
Moisture content seems to have a larger effect on pressure changes.
It's truly sad that a web site like that has to resort to distortions and incomplete science to try to persuade people of the minuscule benefits of nitrogen.

Will my tire pressure fluctuate while driving if I use nitrogen?

You will still see pressure changes with nitrogen while driving, but overall your tires will run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than if they were filled with air. Nitrogen does not contain the moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air, so nitrogen filled tires will fluctuate less in temperature and pressure than air filled tires under driving conditions, even at high speed and at high temps.

Not one word about the MAGNITUDE of the difference caused by the moisture in air and (presumably) not in nitrogen. This next paragraph contains the meat of the argument, but again, totally ignores the opportunity to post up some math as a proof.

Ambient air contains moisture, nitrogen does not. If moisture is present it contributes to a greater change in pressure simply because at lower temperatures water condenses to become a liquid. The liquid form of water occupies very little volume and contributes only a negligible pressure to the tire. But at higher temperatures, such as those in a running tire, water evaporates inside the tire and becomes a gas which increases pressure in the tire.

So their claim is that at a cool tire-filling temperature, the relative humidity inside the tire is such that the water vapor condenses out as liquid water, and when you drive off, the self-heating in the tire vaporizes the liquid, and the new equilibrium point of pressure/temperature/and humidity gives you some amount of extra unanticipated pressure in the tire.

1) How much EXACTLY is this extra pressure? The industry shill writing that web site is silent on the issue. I'm not doing the math for them, but I'd be shocked if it's more than 1-2 PSI extra.

2) MUCH MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION: Why is this extra pressure a BAD THING? Why isn't it possible to see the increased pressure as reducing your rolling resistance, a GOOD THING? And who cares if the pressure goes down when it's cold out? Perhaps the reduction in pressure is compensated by more stiffness in the sidewalls, and the tire ends up having similar cornering performance at cold as when it's hot? The nitrogen-concentrating industry isn't going to perform those experiments because they might disturb the great rip-off.

3) On the other hand, their claims are that O2 permeates through the rubber 3-4 times faster than N2 molecules. I followed the math in the PDF paper, but the conclusion was never presented. Yes, I agree O2 molecules will permeate faster than N2. But how fast is fast? In the average tire, if it was filled with PURE O2, how many PSI per month/year/decade/eon would it lose?!?! Never quantified. The science is incomplete and can't be used to form any conclusions unless that critical detail is presented at the end of a formula. useless exercise until the equation is completed.

4) The site runs its numbers assuming tires are made of rubber. Of course, tire manufacturers are not stupid, and are motivated by their tread wear guarantees to have as low a permeability as economically possible, so they ALL INCLUDE INNERLINERS!

NHTSA Tire Aging Test - analysis of the composition and permeability of innerliners
http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Vehicle Research & Test Center (VRTC)/ca/Tires/811296rev.pdf

Ooops, what's this? A report I hadn't seen before from NHTSA with the real poop:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NRD/Multimedia/PDFs/Crash Avoidance/2009/811094.pdf

As an example, one set of light-truck tires were inflated to 411.3 kPa (59.6 psi) with air that contained 21 percent O2 and 78 percent N2. At the end of 90 days the remaining pressure in the tire was 388.6 kPa (56.3 psi), an average inflation pressure loss rate of 1.72 percent/month (1.03 psi/month). When the light-truck tires were inflated with 99 percent N2 gas, the pressure at the end of 90 days was 398.6 kPa (57.8 psi), an average inflation pressure loss rate of 1.24 per cent/month (0.74 psi/month). Over the 90 day period the percent N2 in the air-inflated tire increased to 80 percent, and the percent N2 in the nitrogen-inflated tire decreased to 98 percent, due to the faster permeation of oxygen gas through the tire components in both directions, in and out, depending on the balance of partial pressures. If we continue to replenish the inflation gas with the original gas mixture (air or 99% pure N2) over a period of three years; the approximate predicted inflation pressure loss rates for the air-inflated tires, now containing 85 percent N2, would be 1.57 percent/month (0.94 psi/month), relative to a predicted inflation pressure loss rate for the nitrogen-inflated tires of approximately 1.31 percent/month (0.78 psi/month), and now containing 95 percent N2.

5) So this data shows the measured permeability of the tested tires is around 1 PSI/month lossage with air, and around 3/4 PSI/month lossage with 99% pure N2. Of course, because you cannot possibly purge all air out of a mounted tire unless you run MANY, MANY inflation/deflation cycles with pure N2, which the tire store concentrators are not even giving you, the real-world benefits are even worse than this data.

6) AND FINALLY - since O2 *does* permeate faster than N2, even a regular air-filled tire, over time, and if not purged, will end up with less percentage of O2 in it as a natural process you don't even have to pay for!

If this doesn't put it in terms we can all understand I'll eat my hat. It's a rip-off, incapable of being defended by the N2-concentrator industry, and ratified by published and very scientific data by the NHTSA.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
Ambient air contains moisture, nitrogen does not. If moisture is present it contributes to a greater change in pressure simply because at lower temperatures water condenses to become a liquid. The liquid form of water occupies very little volume and contributes only a negligible pressure to the tire. But at higher temperatures, such as those in a running tire, water evaporates inside the tire and becomes a gas which increases pressure in the tire.
LOL! This is hilarious! Not only is this completely wrong but junk-science arguments like this contain enough part truths that people actually believe this stuff.

Any mechanic would be happy to tell you that compressed air, ambient air AND dry, filtered nitrogen from the cleanest of tanks and generators contain moisture. Moisture condenses to become liquid when the air is compressed (not when the temperature drops - unless it drops a LOT.) This is why garages drain their compressors of water every night. (Or they should.) If you maintain your compressors properly, you filter and dry the air, but you don't remove any more moisture than is contained in the ambient air; you simply remove the excess moisture resulting from compressing the gas.

Nitrogen behaves exactly the same. The cleaning, drying and filtering of the nitrogen is not to make it better than ambient air; it is merely to bring it back to the same moisture content as ambient air. Even then, it is not likely to be able to remove all the excess moisture created as a byproduct of compression.

And this is assuming clean, well-maintained nitrogen-generating equipment.

If a garage fails to maintain their air compressors properly, what rocket scientist thinks they will suddenly maintain their compressed nitrogen tanks.

Even with the best efficiency approaching 100% (not likely; not even close) in dehumidifying the air, there is no way one could even bring the nitrogen (or air) back to the moisture content of its pre-compressed state.

When this thread hits four pages, there WILL be a test! (I just had this sudden dream I was in high school; there is a physics test, and I didn't study.)

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I use nitrogen in the tires on one of my vehicles and I have to say on nights that go from 40° to -20° there is little to no adjustment needed on the rig with nitrogen in the tires and sometimes air needs to be added to the rig with just air in the tires. So this is great for my wife because she rarely checks those things. On my TB I air up and down so often that it's not worth it to run nitrogen. Really I think if you have to pay for it then its not worth it, just stick to air. If you get it free and dont air down alot like I do then go for it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The statement below sounds good. But i wouldnt pay to have nitrogen put in my tires. Its free at costco so i use it.

A tire filled with "plain old air"can lose 1.5 psi in less than a month

With nitrogen, it can take up to six months to lose 1.5psi.

Nitrogen in Tires : Information about Nitrogen Tire Inflation News, Benefits, Generator Dealers, Location Finder & More

But using nitrogen is not an excuse for those without a tpms to not check their tire pressure regularly. In which case you would have an air compressor nearby anyway. So the savings in effort dont seem to be there.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
CaptainXL said:
The statement below sounds good. But i wouldnt pay to have nitrogen put in my tires. Its free at costco so i use it.
"A tire filled with "plain old air"can lose 1.5 psi in less than a month
With nitrogen, it can take up to six months to lose 1.5psi."
That quote just isn't supported by the physics or the NHTSA experimental data. And it had the weasel words "can" and "up to", so I wouldn't make any decisions based on it. I like your policy of "if it's free, it can't hurt", though. :thumbsup:

TangoBravo said:
I use nitrogen in the tires on one of my vehicles and I have to say on nights that go from 40° to -20° there is little to no adjustment needed on the rig with nitrogen in the tires and sometimes air needs to be added to the rig with just air in the tires. So this is great for my wife because she rarely checks those things. On my TB I air up and down so often that it's not worth it to run nitrogen. Really I think if you have to pay for it then its not worth it, just stick to air. If you get it free and dont air down alot like I do then go for it.
Any chance you can do a more controlled experiment when one of those cold snaps is about to arrive? Do an accurate measurement on each vehicle before and after? Pressure variation versus temperature should be exactly the same for each one according to PV=nRT.

Airing down made me go look up the molecular diameter of CO2, which is what I often air back up with on the trail, so each refill gives me 2/3 or 3/4 more concentration of CO2, depending on the pressure ratio I air down to. CO2 is a smaller molecule than O2 even, by about the same percentage that O2 is smaller than N2. I have not been seeing any detectible lossage over a 2 or 3 month period between Roadiemobile outings, but I have not been correcting for temperature. Perhaps I should, but I really don't care. The time benefits of airing up with a liquid CO2 Powertank are compelling, and there's no way to air up with N2 anyway on the trail without a highly compressed storage tank that is a LOT more dangerous than liquid CO2.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Its a mnemonic. Pivnert is used to remember PV=nRT

fair enough,

like Roy G Biv,

and the one about bad boys I will not repeat here since it is no longer PC

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
since the N2 sales job comes with colored valve caps, the dealers must have a batch of black ones.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Just for fun, I poked around a bit to see dealer testimonials gloating over the profit margins they're making with their nitrogen machines. Payback periods of 2-3 months were common, even for $6000 machines.

Here's one representative sample:

At only .35¢ to .45¢ per tire, that's less than $2 per vehicle! Not bad when you consider the average retail ticket for four tires is over $24. Yes, a 1000% mark-up with virtually no labor or parts.

I feel SLIMY after only ten minutes wading around in that cesspool. The fundamental concept seems to be the logical fallacy Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Gullible N2 victims report feeling their vehicle "drives better", "gets better mileage" and all those butt-dyno sort of feel-good phrases. I weep for mankind that this scam continues.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
In the Air Force we used gaseous nitrogen taken from the ln2 stage. Its used for head pressure on hydraulic fluid accumulators and struts. But I think the main reason to use it in tires is because there was no moisture in it. Also for its ability to not oxidize or assist any type of combustion.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
CaptainXL said:
In the Air Force we used gaseous nitrogen taken from the ln2 stage. Its used for head pressure on hydraulic fluid accumulators and struts. But I think the main reason to use it in tires is because there was no moisture in it. Also for its ability to not oxidize or assist any type of combustion.

That is why they call it dry nitrogen.

something about LN2, tends to solidify the water so filters can catch it prior to evporation.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
meerschm said:
something about LN2, tends to solidify the water so filters can catch it prior to evporation.
Thumbs up to your subtle humor. :thumbsup:

I was on a semiconductor test floor once where an LN2 pipe fitting above a hung ceiling came apart and the flow/pressure sensor valve failed and the flow didn't stop automatically. By the time the tiles gave way, we had all cleared out and watched as about ten gallons poured down on a few million dollars of gear. Everything survived except an old CRT monitor bottle. (This was around 1984.)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online