New to the forum, need a quick answer

pgibbzz

Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Hello im new to the forum. So im in the middle of replacing my strut assemblies and i had a hard time taking the sway bar linkage off, the nut on the stud has some sort of orange plastic on the threads that makes it really hard to turn, i eventually got both of them off, now my question is do i force them back on? or use a new nut? what makes it more difficult is that you have to hold the stud in place while holding an allen key in the bottom to stop it from moving. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Really looking for an expert opinion on this one. I havent attempted to put them back on but i think if it fails im just gunna grind the linkages off, and put new ones on, what do you think?
:undecided:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
1. if you fill in your vehicle details, we can help better. remaining is based on a few guesses

2. if you are changing struts, sway bar end links may be shot too.

a few opinions are scattered here and there on options for these.

:smile:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If it is that hard to get them off, I would make sure the thread are still good. Depending on where you are at you should use penetrating oil to free them up.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
pgibbzz said:
... im just gunna grind the linkages off, and put new ones on, what do you think?
:undecided:

Yeah, that is what many of us had to do.

Use penetrating oil the day before can help.

It tends to be a two arm job, Buy new ones. Me, I am getting SuspensionMaxx endlinks next time. The currents ones made it a year. They have the zerks on them, however my oem's made it over 4 years...

pgibbzz

Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
Wooluf1952 said:
I6 not V6.

:tiphat: Welcome:tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

Depending on your mileage, I'm surprised the end links are still not making noise. Unless they were already changed.
IMHO, if the end links are still quiet, and you can torque the nuts to spec, reuse them.
It may help to run a tap thru them to clean out the lock-tite.

ok so, the very top of the nut is flush with the bottom of the threads, thats as far as i can tighten it before my hex socket wont hold the bolt. I can visibly see about 4 or 5 threads left. it has about 102K. Would it be safe to drive just locally? I dont have a tap set and would rather just buy new links. Its on there tight, there is just some slack.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
pgibbzz said:
ok so, the very top of the nut is flush with the bottom of the threads, thats as far as i can tighten it before my hex socket wont hold the bolt. I can visibly see about 4 or 5 threads left. it has about 102K. Would it be safe to drive just locally? I dont have a tap set and would rather just buy new links. Its on there tight, there is just some slack.

The only problem I can think of is the end-links may mess-up the holes from not being tight.

Others can jump in here with opinions/past experience.

pgibbzz

Original poster
Jul 15, 2013
i just installed the new links yesterday, in case anyone was wondering i was fine driving with the loose end links, it just made a rattle noise cause of the slack in the bolt. I had to grind the old ones off which wasnt too bad. putting it back on was the most difficult, i suggest starting by tightening the link that goes inside the sway bar first.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Had the same problem with one of mine. The mechanic replaced it as part of inspection but he had a bear of a time getting it off.

Welcome to the Nation.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.