New Thermostat

Derrick Rucker

Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
Later today I'm going to be getting a new thermostat and installing it. I know how to do the job and everything but I've seen some people say they have bought a brand new one and it be bad and have to get another one and replace it again so my question is: is there anyway to check the new thermostat for defects or anything before I install it or do I have to install it and get everything put back together and hope for the best?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Put it in a pot of water and see when it opens up as you heat it. Keep a thermometer on it. I've seen that suggested.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Be sure you get only an ACDelco.

Derrick Rucker

Original poster
Apr 23, 2016
Tennessee
Also would it be easier to go through the driver side fender well since I wouldn't have to fool with taking off the alternator and all that?

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Its possible with some extensions. Was the way i had to access the firewall side bolt.

northmick

May 30, 2016
McAlester OK
rucker was right us boiling water and a thermomitor to make sure it opens at 190. acdelco is always a good brand to know the truth thow GM does consider them aftermarket. also acdelco is 100% reboxing company they don't make anything. just don't go cheep

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Just did mine last weekend from the top. Remove your belt and remove the black bracket just above the alternator. It has three 15 mm bolts. You'll DEFINITELY need a 15 mm open ended wrench to get onto the bottom alternator bolt. If you get a socket onto it without breaking the steel line that sits directly in front of it, hats off to ya.

Reactions: Derrick Rucker

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I went from the top and it wasn't bad. Hardest part is getting the alternator out.

Couldn't believe how easy it was compared to what everyone makes it out to be.

I didn't find the alternator to be that terrible, yeah that bottom bolt is a bit of a nuisance but not that bad.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A ratchet wrench, rather than a traditional wrench, for that bottom bolt is also a savior.

Reactions: AtlWrk and Matt

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
A ratchet wrench, rather than a traditional wrench, for that bottom bolt is also a savior.
:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

If you have time to prepare, a single 15mm ratchet wrench can be had on Amazon for $5-8 and is absolutely key to making alternator removal painless.
Hardware stores have sets in the ~$30 range.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online