New Shocks/Struts Question

l30ms2013

Original poster
May 2, 2014
Hello All,
I recently purchased an 2002 Envoy SLT with 135k on it. I have redone all four rotors and pads, all new BFG All Terrain Tires, and had all the fluids flushed and filled (Tranny, PS, BR, DIF, OIL, COOLANT, etc).

I am looking to replace the front struts as the car has a big dip when you lightly press the brakes and a bad rattle (CV joint a was told). I am thinking about doing the rear shocks at the same time as well as replace my driver side cv half axel assembly as it has a cracked boot.

The Front struts I am looking at are some basic Monroe Complete Setup or some Belstein struts where I need to transfer my old coil.

Monroe: Strut and Coil Spring Assembly - Front (Part Number: 4173-07088610)
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html

Bilstein: Front Strut = $65.00 a piece
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...-SUVs-and-SAAB

Rear shocks are beilstien as well.
Belstein: Rear Shock = $65.00 a piece
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/p...Air-Suspension

The half axel assembly is a EMPI from RockAuto for $60.00
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...969&cc=1401275

Any advice would be great as I cannot decide which route to go with. I am a newbie and looking to do it my self as I am tired of relying on others to fix my stuff and over paying.

Thanks in advance!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Welcome!

Rears are really easy.

While it is more work I prefer to go the BIlstein route. Not saying the quick struts are bad things, necessarily, but I prefer the ride and feel of Bilstein.

Reactions: Matt

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I wanted OEM ride qaulity without having to break the bank. I did the Monroe Quick Struts in front and Monroe Sensa Trac Light Truck in the back. I was very happy with them. The quick struts go in as easy as replacing rotors. Best to use an air wrench if you have one.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=515212&cc=1412277

Sparky said:
Welcome!

Rears are really easy.
That's almost an understament! Yea, REALLY easy. :smile: I think it took less than 15 minutes to replace both.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yes, indeed! Welcome.

To compress the front coils will require the strongest spring compressor from the rental stock of your local parts store. It will exhaust you, so you might want to ask your local mechanic or suspension store if you remove your struts and bring them in, what will they charge you to use their $1000 wall-mounted professional spring compressor and change the shocks out for you.

Reactions: loondog33

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
I use bilsteins religiously and bought from autozone...have not paid for new struts since I bought them at 40k miles. Lifetime warranty and i take them off and bring them in for a new set about every 40k. No questions asked. As far as compressing the springs, I bought a decent one from napa that secures to the spring to prevent it sliding crooked while using an impact to compress. Have not been happier...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah those compressors are a bear to do by hand with a ratchet. I've done it several times. Now I have this which makes short work of it :biggrin:

41sOrcknebL._SY300_.jpg

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I at the same point as well, time for shocks and struts. I can get decent deals on the Monroe/Napa struts and shocks but would love to have a set of the Bilsteins on. Anyone have any good shops to recomend in Canada? I am going to check out the shockwarehouse and maybe ebay.

thanks

l30ms2013

Original poster
May 2, 2014
Thank you everyone for the response!

I ended up going with the Belstein Struts and shocks from Amazon.com, since they were a couple bucks cheaper and free two day shipping. I also ordered two kyb strut mounts and sleeves. Paid about $250 all together and will have in two days.

I ordered the half axel assembly from from rockauto.com and hope the install won't be two hard and will fix the noise I hear when driving.

If any one knows any good walkthroughs, please feel free to post them as well as for the axel assembly swap.

I will keep you guys posted once I start the job in the next week or so once school is over.

c good

Dec 8, 2011
Welcome. I didn't see any reference to changing out the Transfer case fluid. You may want to consider this if it hasn't been done or you don't have a record of it being done. Also, you have an Inline 6 cylinder engine (I-6) and it is 4.2 Liter displacement. Not trying to be an A--hat. Just want you to avoid some confusion when you go into stores/shops. HTH c good

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Half shaft install is pretty easy, over all. Easier than the front shocks are.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
BrianF said:
I at the same point as well, time for shocks and struts. I can get decent deals on the Monroe/Napa struts and shocks but would love to have a set of the Bilsteins on. Anyone have any good shops to recomend in Canada? I am going to check out the shockwarehouse and maybe ebay.

thanks
Got autozone up the in Canuck land? If I didn't buy from the zone ,the shock warehouse was my next choice, but they do not offer the lifetime free swap outs that have saved me $$$$$$$$$.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Ya will take a look for autozone in the city next time and see what they got. I am living in a small town so trips out are few and far between so mailorder always seems to win out.

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
Man, I'd like to buy the bilstein shock and swap the spring but I'm not comfortable with compressing the spring myself.

My buddy used to work at a dealer that had a professional spring compressor. But even still he's seen one of his coworkers take a spring right to the chest due to equipment failure or operator error, can't remember which. It broke some of his ribs and punctured one of his lungs! So using what equates to a modified C-clamp for myself isn't going to happen.

That being said, I like, The Roadies, suggestion to take the strut in to have the springs swapped out. It might sound bad, but I'd rather someone else take that spring to the chest for me. But if you're going go that route, it would probably be more convenient just to buy the quick strut assembly.

Reactions: CaptainKD

smt 59

Welcome, as you have mentioned the Monroe is a basic shock and the Bilstein is far superior, don't make the mistake of going cheap, the Monroe quick strut is a piece of sh#t.
I made the mistake of Monroe's, and very quickly changed to Bilstein, go Bilstein and you will have no regrets.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I checked here in my dinky little town and one shop wanted $80 per off the truck and the other said $40 per off the truck. I went with the free spring compressors from Auto Zone.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Same here with being concerned about the spring. The manager at the shop where I had them done said a guy at another place launched one into his face. And if that wasn't bad enough, in falling over backwards got a massive concussion.

Reactions: loondog33

loondog33

Jun 25, 2014
C-ya said:
I checked here in my dinky little town and one shop wanted $80 per off the truck and the other said $40 per off the truck. I went with the free spring compressors from Auto Zone.
I'm sure the spring compressors from auto stores don't have a huge failure rate by any means or otherwise the stores would not loan them out. I'm just a little on the cautious side is all.

But the money saved is tempting. $260 for two complete struts by ac delco from rockauto or $130 for bilstein shocks from shockwarehouse.com plus mounting brackets and hardware for $60-70.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hmmmm sounds to me like the Bilsteins and new mounts will cost less anyway :biggrin:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Those freak me out. I have no problem using the Autozone compressor rentals (used to use my ratchet too, what a workout), but no way would I even want to be in the same room as the guy doing it that way :eek:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I picked up a basic spring compressor from Princess Auto for 40 bucks. Nothing fancy but it worked great. As with the instructions the biggest thing to do was compress each side equally and in small increments. I laid the spring horizontal and had each end pointed away from me. Saved me some cash but the biggest thing for me is I live 20km out of town and dont have to do everything from a distance. I dont have time to drive across the country.

I put in sensatrac struts and shocks. So far so good.

Reactions: loondog33 and C-ya

gmc4flash

Mar 25, 2015
While I am new here... thought I would throw one more thing out... if you have not recently replaced your motor mounts or if they have never been replaced (our new to us 2002 gmc envoy slt had a weird hard vibration when we bought it) as ours had not been... I learned from that other site before being invited here... that the mounts were bad. since you will have sooo much stuff out of the way, you might as well do mounts too. I am basically on the same path as you... mounts are done, new suspension parts on the way (going with quick struts) and have already done the rear hatch struts and window struts. Will get to the fluids next. (as well as a new radio for my Son)

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Those make shift spring compressors are absolutely nuts. Why would you work that hard to avoid a tool ?

I just put my new skyjacker shocks on and even bought blue boots for them. I managed to save the spacers from the old shocks.

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
Have now driven my skyjacker N8030s for a week. They feel softer than the new OEM. Out of the box I was able to compress them easily by leaning on them with my own body weight.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.