new rear tires fishtail

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
so I finally got some new tires on the radio end of my truck because they were 1/32. BALD.

now if I am driving 40+mph the truck feels like a boat or driving in sand. the rear end is very forgiving. tires are at max psi. they said this is normal for the first hundred miles or so... I need to be sure because every day I drive my new born son and daughter in law (age 6) around school, errands Park etc.

P. S Tapatalk support no longer working here?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
tires are at max psi

You saying tires are at the max pressure listed on the sidewall :no:, or the max pressure listed on the sticker on the driver's side B pillar :yes:?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
You saying tires are at the max pressure listed on the sidewall :no:, or the max pressure listed on the sticker on the driver's side B pillar :yes:?
they say 32.5psi when I use a air tool. is that correct psi?

Reactions: BlazingTrails

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hard saying but a few hundred miles of wearing off mold release agents will make big difference

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Bump your psi up a couple of lbs. The psi listed on the placard is for comfort...personally I run between 36 and 38 psi all round.

Reactions: vipergg and Ghost

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I agree with them getting better as you drive them. My tires were really slippery when wet for the first week or 2.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bump your psi up a couple of lbs. The psi listed on the placard is for comfort...personally I run between 36 and 38 psi all round.

:iagree:

I feel a noticeable difference between 32 psi and 35 psi. I've always run 35 psi cold in mine.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You can guess anything, but easiest is to run a chalk test.

Reactions: Tiggerr and Matt

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
I forgot to mention the tires are a different brand, not sure if that is an issue?

I pumped them up to 38psi damn it is it scary driving this truck on the freeway. I don't even want to drive it anymore. I am going to see if I can find someone to rotate the tires and put these new ones in the front and see if that changes the handling.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I run at 35 all around, winters n summers. In my opinion 38 might be getting up there try HARDTRAILZ chalk test. if I had two new tires I'd want them at the back.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I can't ever recall have to "break in" tires. Idk what kind of tires you bought but I think I'd take them back. I'm also very OCD about tires lol. There are only certain tires I'll buy.

I've always liked around 35 PSI all around as well.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They wouldn't happen to be runway tires?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I forgot to mention the tires are a different brand, not sure if that is an issue?

I pumped them up to 38psi damn it is it scary driving this truck on the freeway. I don't even want to drive it anymore. I am going to see if I can find someone to rotate the tires and put these new ones in the front and see if that changes the handling.

Are you sure this is an issue with your tires? I have never heard of or experienced anything like what you are mentioning with tires. It really sounds like a problem with your panhard bar, or a component in your rear suspension.

IMO you need to get the back of your truck off the ground and inspect all of the control arms, bolts, and panhard bar and make sure everything is sound.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
BT brings up a good point. Inspect everything back there. When I broke a trailing arm the back end of my truck wanted to go all over the place. Upper rear passenger broke first a few years ago when I hit something in the road and the axle would "wrap" (for lack of a better term) when hitting the gas, pushing the rear leftwards. Didn't help that my front end alignment got knocked all out of whack from it too (thankfully nothing bent/broke up there). That was fun, almost sent me into the side of the semi at 70mph.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
BT brings up a good point. Inspect everything back there. When I broke a trailing arm the back end of my truck wanted to go all over the place. Upper rear passenger broke first a few years ago when I hit something in the road and the axle would "wrap" (for lack of a better term) when hitting the gas, pushing the rear leftwards. Didn't help that my front end alignment got knocked all out of whack from it too (thankfully nothing bent/broke up there). That was fun, almost sent me into the side of the semi at 70mph.

Very lucky that your derive shaft did not slip out of the yoke. That would have been a very bad day. I have had 2 drive shafts break on me over the years, and it is very destructive and dangerous. :yikes:

Reactions: Tiggerr

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well the axle wasn't shifting around bad enough for that to happen thankfully (still had 3 of the 4 trailing arms intact, and the panhard).

I plan on getting a driveshaft loop on the Camaro one of these days if I was to ever go crazy with the car to protect against damage from a busted shaft. Or heck I may do it regardless.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
If you swap front for rear to try the handling, be sure to swap them back as soon as you can. The best tires ALWAYS go on the rear wheels. This applies to front- and rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

Please let us know the tire sizes and brands front and rear.

Reactions: Ziggy and Tiggerr

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I thought the good tires should be put on the front because if a back tire blows out you're fine but if a front tire blows out you just about lose steering which would be bad at speed trying to get off the road and stopped. Humph. Just my view and what I was taught.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
If you have more tread/traction on the front then on the.slippery shit the ass end might be coming around to say hi because of less traction and momentum wants to keep it going...

Reactions: Blckshdw

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You might also check the D.O.T. born-on-date of the tires. Some dealers sell old tires. As tires age, the rubber can harden and traction suffers.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Yes, if there is a difference in tread or traction, the best tires ALWAYS go on the rear, no matter which is the drive axle.

Off topic but very important. It also refutes myths about front-wheel-drive cars, which doesn't apply to us but applies to our friends, spouses and kids who may drive them.

Reactions: Tiggerr

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Are you sure this is an issue with your tires? I have never heard of or experienced anything like what you are mentioning with tires. It really sounds like a problem with your panhard bar, or a component in your rear suspension.

IMO you need to get the back of your truck off the ground and inspect all of the control arms, bolts, and panhard bar and make sure everything is sound.
OK so I'll have to make time this week to go back to the store and get this sorted. because my truck did NOT drive like this with the bald tires. maybe they are mixed with radialls. my front tires are more $ and are Goodyears and the back ones are some weird ass brand.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I would also like to know.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
so I finally got some new tires on the radio end of my truck because they were 1/32. BALD.

now if I am driving 40+mph the truck feels like a boat or driving in sand. the rear end is very forgiving. tires are at max psi. they said this is normal for the first hundred miles or so... I need to be sure because every day I drive my new born son and daughter in law (age 6) around school, errands Park etc.

P. S Tapatalk support no longer working here?

Was this ever resolved?

Reactions: Mounce

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Idk if he ever got this resolved, but I just had a set of Blizzaks put on my Rainier on Sat. No symptoms like his at all. My suspension is shot, and zero issues. No sway or shimmy. Even with bad shocks in rear and the front end being a bit loose. Probably tire issue.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Pathfinder sport AT

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Made for Discount Tire by Kumho in Korea and Vietnam.

Four different sizes of the Pathfinder Sport AT have been recalled due to possible tread separation issues. Maybe check your size against the recall list. Not the dangerous made-in-China stuff, but still made to be cheap and sold on eBay. The tread separation issue with the same model tire in four sizes does not speak well to the quality of the entire line. My opinion. I don't buy cheap tires, brakes or shocks so I have no experience with them, but would speculate this may be the cause of your problems.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Made for Discount Tire by Kumho in Korea and Vietnam.

Four different sizes of the Pathfinder Sport AT have been recalled due to possible tread separation issues. Maybe check your size against the recall list. Not the dangerous made-in-China stuff, but still made to be cheap and sold on eBay. The tread separation issue with the same model tire in four sizes does not speak well to the quality of the entire line. My opinion. I don't buy cheap tires, brakes or shocks so I have no experience with them, but would speculate this may be the cause of your problems.
Could you link me to that recall please?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER 15T015

Discount Tire/America’s Tire has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain Pathfinder replacement tires. These tires are included in a safety recall. These tires are typically found on vehicles such as light trucks and SUVs.

These recalled tires may contain a condition that could result in a tread separation. The initiation of a tread separation is often evidenced by a ride vibration or irregular wear. In some circumstances, a loss of tread could result in rapid air loss, loss of vehicle control or a vehicle crash.

The following list provides the product descriptions, DOT (Department of Transportation) sequence Identifiers and DOT production periods of the manufacturing populations which contain the recalled tires. The DOT information is molded to the sidewall of each tire: the DOT sequence number and DOT date code that is a 2-digit week and 2-digit year of production, which are given in the DOT production period information. For example, “4305” refers to the 43rd week of the year 2005.

Tire Description DOT Sequence DOT Production Periods (Inclusive)

LT245/75R17E1 121R W Pathfinder SAT K2HQYD5T 3813 through 2515
LT265/75R16E1 123Q W Pathfinder SAT H2W8YD5T 3213 through 2515
LT265/70R17E1 121S B Pathfinder SAT K2HGYD5T 3613 through 2515
LT275/65R18E1 123S B Pathfinder SAT K2HUYD5T 4113 through 2515
Tires matching these descriptions, DOT sequence identifiers and DOT production time periods may be part of the recall population. To determine if you have potentially received tires that are included in this recall, please check the DOT information found on the sidewall of the tire, and if they match the above identifiers, contact your local Discount Tire/America’s Tire retail location or call Consumer Care, 1-888-519-6914 for more information. You can also visit a Discount Tire/America’s Tire retail location to have your Pathfinder tires inspected.

It is important that all recalled tires be removed from service as soon as possible. The removed tires will be replaced with a similar product at no cost to you.
http://kumhopathfinder.com/

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online