New radiator...

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Short story, I had a bad moment and ran over a traffic pylon which broke the transmission line off the radiator.

Sadly, my schedule and needs mean it's in a shop and I'm looking at a hefty bill for the work. Ugh. While it's apart, I'm thinking of haVing them do the water pump. Any other thoughts on this repair?

I'm at 127,000 miles but generally in good shape.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just a few thoughts about the additional work...

(1) Make certain that the Mechanic installs only an OEM Quality AC-Delco Water Pump on your 4.8L V8 Engine. Anything else is just asking for trouble. If the Mechanic is someone unfamiliar to you... You might ask to have your Old Pump placed inside the OEM New Box and returned to you. That way... you get to examine the Box Carton ends to look for the OEM AC-Delco Labels with the GM Part #s...etc.... just to confirm that the Newly Installed Pump is indeed "The Genuine Article".

(2) Before they agree to do the work... find out exactly how much labor is being added on... just to make certain they are not adding "Billable Hours by The Book" without considering the fact that the disassembly of the front engine area was already necessary and achieved prior to replacing the Radiator... but there is no reason why you should be expected to pay twice for that same Labor.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Vehicle Make-Model-Sub-Model design and trim would indicate the same as you suggest... But since the OP mentions that "4.8L" displacement in the Information Portion of his Profile... out of respect for his own description and words... I simply echoed what he had written down there. ;>)

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Huh, not sure how that got put at 4.8L, I've always been firmly aware it's a 5.3, part of why I bought it.

The shop is a place I trust, they've been good in the past at being clear about what needs to be done versus what will need attention in the future.

The did indeed account for the labor already done, and will inspect the pump to see if it shows any signs of weeping. I'm really torn about just getting it done, maybe thermostat too, but I'd rather not spend the money. But, i don't want to be doing this job a short while down the road. Decisions.

What about the hoses? I've seen info suggesting that the upper and lower hoses be replaced.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Huh, not sure how that got put at 4.8L, I've always been firmly aware it's a 5.3, part of why I bought it.

The shop is a place I trust, they've been good in the past at being clear about what needs to be done versus what will need attention in the future.

The did indeed account for the labor already done, and will inspect the pump to see if it shows any signs of weeping. I'm really torn about just getting it done, maybe thermostat too, but I'd rather not spend the money. But, i don't want to be doing this job a short while down the road. Decisions.

What about the hoses? I've seen info suggesting that the upper and lower hoses be replaced.

Depending on the age of hoses (if known) I'd change them...
Same with the pump and t-stat..
I do tend to be OCD about that kinda thing tho..,
My luck next week the pump would puke... or a hose

Reactions: Capote

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Took just over a week, dropped it off on a Monday morning and got it back Tuesday afternoon. A bit frustrating, because with time I'm certain I could have done the work, but not at this time of year for me, and I need the tow capacity.

Ended up with a new radiator, water pump, thermostat and gasket, as well as new transmission lines. And my wallet is about 1600.00 lighter. Ouch.

Here's hoping there are many happy miles ahead.

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
It was a big pylon. Probably barrel is a better description. Still expensive...

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I agree 100% on the time. I know it didn't get looked at until Wednesday, afternoon, and I took another day to decide to add the water pump and t-stat in. I give them a bit of slack on that, but still took to long over all.

I'd appreciate some opinion on the pricing, I did not have any bad info on this shop previously. However, I have very little work done anywhere, I do as much as i possibly can myself.

Here it is. They also moved my transmission cooler over and reinstalled on the new rad, not sure specifically where that is in the costs.

Radiator - 343.88
Coolant - 29.98
Labor - 376.20

Trans lines and fluid - 145.05
Labor - 288.00

Water Pump - 253.70
T-Stat - 25.24
Gasket - 5.46
Labor - 72.00

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I agree 100% on the time. I know it didn't get looked at until Wednesday, afternoon, and I took another day to decide to add the water pump and t-stat in. I give them a bit of slack on that, but still took to long over all.

I'd appreciate some opinion on the pricing, I did not have any bad info on this shop previously. However, I have very little work done anywhere, I do as much as i possibly can myself.

Here it is. They also moved my transmission cooler over and reinstalled on the new rad, not sure specifically where that is in the costs.

Radiator - 343.88
Coolant - 29.98
Labor - 376.20

Trans lines and fluid - 145.05
Labor - 288.00

Water Pump - 253.70
T-Stat - 25.24
Gasket - 5.46
Labor - 72.00

They could've taken you out to dinner first!! A kiss maybe! Some lube would've been nice!!
WOW! :jawdrop2:

I know it's shop prices but damn!! I've seen AC Delco radiators for $130-$140...

I paid like $50 for my water pump at NAPA.. which was a Delco...seen them online cheaper than that for AC Delco..

Think I paid about $70-$80 for all four AC Delco trans lines together....

That labor seems a little excessive too...IMHO....but I haven't paid a shop in many years, nor have I worked in one for many years..,(used to do it for a living yrs ago)

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
All u know is I work in a shop and labor is $99 a hour with a markup of x.xx (aka everything is high as :lipsrsealed:) and it still wouldn't have been that high for rad, pump, thermo, and labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online