NEW OLD TIRES

Petnatcar

Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY
Hi Guys,
I picked up a puncture on a new Cooper tire but the repair shop said they can't fix it because the belt broke apart.
So I had to order a new tire.
Anybody ever heard of this?

I have a 19 year old spare tire that has never been used, it's been sitting out side for a few years but
the tread is brand new and there are absolutely no cracks or weather checking anywhere and it's holding 35 psi.
I sprayed the wheel with WD40 so the rust looks much better now.

Anybody know if this is safe on the highway or should I roll the dice and report back later ?

Thanks,
Pete Carbone

Attachments

• Spare 1.jpg
    Spare 1.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Tires 2 .jpg
    Tires 2 .jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Spare 3 .jpg
    Spare 3 .jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 6

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Depending on how the belt broke (splits, tears, separation) I could see why they might decline to repair. That said, were they the ones that would be selling you the replacement? Just asking.

The problem with a very old spare is brittleness and failure due to the kinds of dynamic loads (heating, braking, potholes, cornering, etc.) that static testing is not going to check, especially if it has been outside and exposed to the elements. I would not use it except as a last resort and, even then, driving short distances and slowly.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Old tires are never a good idea. Most tire manufacturers recommend to replace at 6 to 10 years at most no matter the condition. Tires do dry out regardless of how they were stored or used.

And I'd get a second opinion on that puncture repair. I've had lots and never had a shop refuse to repair a puncture except one that was barely outside the tread. And even that one I put a plug in it myself and it lasted for years. Now my wife did roll on a flat tire for a while and destroyed the belts. Maybe that's the issue?

Petnatcar

Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY
Thanks for your insights fellas.
Of course the shop that is fixing the tire is selling me a new one.
The problem is Cooper don't make that tire anymore.

I didn't drive very far on the tire but the hole is in the middle of the tread.
The guy said there was a bulge where he inserted the newer style plug from the inside ???
I didn't see the bulge so I have to take his word for it but the thought that you can't trust anybody these days is still in the back of my head.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Of course the shop that is fixing the tire is selling me a new one.
Here is a link to a seller on Ebay that sells new/used tires by make and thread depth, so you can match the rest of the tires on your vehicle when you just need one.(they will list tire age)
I have used them several times with great results. Search their site for your specific tire.

Petnatcar

Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Watertown, NY
Here is a link to a seller on Ebay that sells new/used tires by make and thread depth, so you can match the rest of the tires on your vehicle when you just need one.(they will list tire age)
I have used them several times with great results. Search their site for your specific tire.
Thanks North but I already got the new one.
The tread is remarkably similar so I'm hoping there won't be any squirrely behavior.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... eBay has THIS 16" X 7" Plated Rim on sale (OBO) set @ $75.00 with Free S&H that might interest you if you have any concerns about the integrity (internal air leakage from Rust Damage) and you want to avoid any Rubber Slippage from the WD-40 invading the Tire to Rim contact surfaces:

If you have an interest... Best to message the Seller and confirm that the Image they posted at this link below is "Kosher" and is NOT a Stock Photo from something else:

s-l1600.jpg

By the By... Your Profile slot for the "Year of Vehicle Manufacture" is Vacant...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB

Members Online