New Head Unit to Bose amp - Using pre-amp outputs?

Lord Helmet

Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Hi, All. A few months ago I had a high-end Alpine head unit installed (Alpine INE-W927HD) in place of my factory deck and it sounds terrible. I even had a small sub installed at the same time. The factory system sounded light years better to say the least. This was confirmed because I had a problem with the new deck and they are swapping it out for a new unit. They put my factory unit back in until the new one comes in. The sound quality is night and day different, especially at higher volumes.

My question is, do you think the sound quality is suffering due to using speaker level outputs from the Alpine into the factory Bose amp? If this is the case, could I have them use the pre-amp outputs on the Alpine to the Bose amp input instead? Would that clean up the sound?

Any thoughts on this would be helpful because that Alpine drives me nuts. I hate to get rid of it because it's features are excellent and I have become accustomed to them, i.e., back up cam, bluetooth, and it looks great in the dash.

Thank you!

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
i have a pioneer double din in my truck right now and wired it up myself and havent had any problems at all it actually sounded better and i recently added a sub too if they are using all the original connections you shouldnt have a problem just make sure they hooked up your stock amp wires correctly. i dont think running them through the rca cables is a good idea as they are more for bass than treble and mids just my two cents

Any thoughts on this would be helpful because that Alpine drives my nuts.

thought id add this cracked me up:rotfl:

Lord Helmet

Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Aarkon said:
i have a pioneer double din in my truck right now and wired it up myself and havent had any problems at all it actually sounded better and i recently added a sub too if they are using all the original connections you shouldnt have a problem just make sure they hooked up your stock amp wires correctly. i dont think running them through the rca cables is a good idea as they are more for bass than treble and mids just my two cents

Any thoughts on this would be helpful because that Alpine drives my nuts.

thought id add this cracked me up:rotfl:

LOL, fixed it.

I should clarify that this Alpine deck has a full range of pre-amp outputs, not just for subs. There is a separate set of pre-outs that incorporate a built in x-over for the sub itself.

Lord Helmet

Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
So I have learned that using the Alpine's internal crossover for the HPF is actually destroying the sound quality. By turning it off and allowing the speakers to utilize the original HU frequencies, the sound is far cleaner and also has more definition. Major improvement. Another improvement was that instead of overly tweaking the EQ, I set it flat and turned down frequencies that were too high at a higher volume. This cleaned up the sound even further. For the first time, I can honestly say, I'm much happier with this unit than I have been previously.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Heck I didn't even think about that since Bose is a bass system glad you figured it out:tongue:

Nycbeef1

Jul 27, 2013
Cool, hope u got the steering wheel control module to, makes life better trust me
upy6ajam.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857610.896769.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397857610.896769.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 9

bevsway1

Apr 14, 2014
NYC.. I just had my new unit installed in my 06 Envoy, and it looks just like yours, LOL.. Pioneer AVH-P8400BH ( I believe that's it).. And I LOVE it!! Steering when controls are a must..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online