Need some help. Can it be saved or is it done for?

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
About a month ago the wife had an accident with her TB. She is fine, that's the main thing.
She slid on a section of ice on a sharp 90 degree corner and slid into a retaining wall. Liability insurance only of course, not full coverage.
The accident ripped the front bumper cover off, dented the passenger side fender, broke the passenger side headlight, cracked and ripped the passenger side inner fender liner, broker the fan should, bent/mangled the bumper reinforcement, and bent the passenger side frame horn.
I took some rough measurements just to see how bad it was. Frame horn was moved in about 5" and down 2". Mostly in front of the radiator/core support. But the frame did bend a little behind the radiator/core support as well. The radiator was pushed back just on the passenger side but I didn't measure that though. I had to remove the fan/shroud assembly to drive it home. It was less than a mile.
It runs and drives still. But if I bring it to a body shop to fix it "the right way" it's a total loss I bet.

Can I run it with no shroud, just the fan? I saved the wires/harness/sensor for the clutch fan from the cracked shroud.
I mean will it still cool the engine at all? I could remove the fan track from the shroud. The shroud is cracked already.

When idling for an extended period of time it get a little hot without the fan.
I need to get the TB running. Even if it's rigged for now. The replacement vehicle she picked (I advised against this one, 2008 jeep patriot 2.4l 5spd) just had the clutch go out within the 2 weeks of buying it. So money is tight.
And I'm a little on the stressed/pissed side as well.

I'm hoping to find a shop to pull the frame only just to get it straightish so I can get a bumper and fender on it my self. It would be nice to have an extra vehicle.
It would be a shame to scrap it. Especially since I just bought tires for it and had the rack/pinion replaced.

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
IMO it can be saved. Most of the parts you mentioned can be bought on Rockauto at a reasonable price. Last time I left the wife drive (couple years ago) she had similar results (bumper cover, bumper reinforcment, headlights, grill, front quarter panel). Just haven't gotten around to replacing any of it. But when i looked, it all looked reasonable.

smt 59

If your frame has been damaged as much as you say then it should be assessed at a frame shop. It sounds like it suffered a hard hit and the frame could have been "diamonded" which means shifted back completely on one side. Your profile page states the truck is an 03, not sure if I would put that kind of money into it at this point IMO. Glad no one was hurt.

mntb

Original poster
Mar 18, 2016
minnesota
We have two TBs. Hers is the one with the damage. It's an 2003 swb lt with 130,xxx miles.

She was going Maybe 20-30mph at the moment of impact (guessing). This corner is horrible. I don't understand the purpose of the wall. There is NOTHING behind it. I don't think it would have been so bad if the impact was square in the front. But she hit with the corner of the front. I think the angle of the hit is what is made it as bad as it is.

Its irritating to know that we just spent around $1500-$2000 for tires and the rack/pinion.
To me, that's a lot of money. I could take the rims/tires (off brand tires from discount tire) and maybe sell them. I need tires for my tb but can't use the 16" rims as far as I know, they won't clear the larger brakes.
I just hate throwing money away like this. But I guess I'm throwing money away even if I fix it.

smt 59

You could either part it out or sell complete vehicle and try to recoup some money from the repairs previously done. Even though my truck is older(05) I always keep collision on it just in case as I have dropped a lot on upgrades and repairs. Good luck with whatever your decision is.
PS- do not get a Chrysler product.

carshinebob

Jun 13, 2014
I'm guessing it didn't blow the air bags. That would tip the scales for me. My guestimate to straiten the frame would be about 6 to 7 hundred. Shop around to get the best deal for the frame fix and source the parts at a junk yard. If your lucky, you'll find the same color parts. I'm thinking you could get by (with you supplying labor) for about 1k out of pocket with a little luck. ~BOB

smt 59

Once you take off all the damaged parts etc. You need to be very experienced at collision work or be really patient and handy to get it all back together, lots of shimming adjusting and trying to line up body parts then you need to paint. I think that you need to get it looked at first in regards to the frame damage then make your decision from there.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online