Need help with MarkMC 3in lift

peepod2727

Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
So my current setup is bilstein front struts, skyjacker rear shocks, and Z71 rear springs. So I finally got around to trying to install my 3in kit at my father's shop and we removed the drivers side strut assembly and separated the spring and strut. When we tried to compress the spring with the spacer on top we couldn't get the spring compressed enough to get the stud on the strut through the spacer. Both compressors we tried couldn't handle the spring (the spring slipped off one of the compressor's and shot the strut down, near my hand). Wondering if it's just the crappy spring compressors at my dads dealer, or what it could be?

Also my dad thinks the kit wouldn't work because the lower control arm goes down to the frame and doesn't look like there's enough room for the spacer between the top of the strut and the strut tower. I don't really think that cause obviously a lot of you guys here have this kit and I know it works.

Almost forgot I bought some Moog 88 front Springs and we tried with those springs and the factory springs, neither worked.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
The 88 springs and the outside shim would level the front with the rear if you use just the z71 springs. I have installed more than one of these kits with only hand tools and no problems.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
It actually takes quite a bit of compression to get those back into place. What kind of compressors are you using? A wall mount should have it done in no time.

peepod2727

Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
djthumper said:
It actually takes quite a bit of compression to get those back into place. What kind of compressors are you using? A wall mount should have it done in no time.

We used this spring compressor and another one that had like three fingers (I'm not sure what they're actually called) that grabs onto the spring on the top and the bottom, but the one of the fingers on the second compressor would not come out far enough to securely hold the spring so we stopped using it.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 94

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I really don't know what to tell you if that could not do the stock spring. That thing should do it with little effort.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
ujypuvez.jpg
Agreed. Just get manual strut spring compressors and use an impact gun.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You guys with impacts have it easy. I do mine with a ratchet! :crazy:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've used mine about 20 times for my and other's struts. First 6-7 were with a ratchet, then I got smart and got a huge 1" air impact that turns them like butter. Oil on the threads is absolutely required. Also putting them on the farthest-out possible coils is necessary to overcompress the springs to install fat spacers.

strut10.jpg

peepod2727

Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
the roadie said:
I've used mine about 20 times for my and other's struts. First 6-7 were with a ratchet, then I got smart and got a huge 1" air impact that turns them like butter. Oil on the threads is absolutely required. Also putting them on the farthest-out possible coils is necessary to overcompress the springs to install fat spacers.

strut10.jpg

I think I'm just going to pick up some compressors like these, they'll be nice to have at the house anyways and the spring compressor I post earlier is probably in a lot better shape than the one we used seeing it's been at my dads shop for probably 10-15+ years haha. The dealership my dad works at doesn't like to invest in equipment for their techs... unfortunately.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
peepod2727 said:
I think I'm just going to pick up some compressors like these, they'll be nice to have at the house anyways and the spring compressor I post earlier is probably in a lot better shape than the one we used seeing it's been at my dads shop for probably 10-15+ years haha. The dealership my dad works at doesn't like to invest in equipment for their techs... unfortunately.

You can rent them from places like Autozone or other parts places.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online