Need help on replacing front differential on my 02 TB

prken

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
My 02 TB front differential is making allot of grinding on driver side, was driving on a4wd and suddenly stop in the middle of the road, it sound like the driveshaft came off but once I change to 2 wheel drive was able to drive off, now still gridding. My neighbor, he’s a mechanic with over 25 years of experience told me that my front differential needs to be change. Any help on how to do it myself. He gave me the steps from ondemand.com any extra help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I'm sure others will chime in but if you can get your neighbor to help you that might be a good idea.
Also if you ever thought about re-gearing or adding a locker this would be a most excellent time to do that.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Why did he say that the front differential was changed?

prken

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
djthumper said:
Why did he say that the front differential was changed?

we put it on the lift in his garage, and he check the differential and told me that the differential is bad, it sound like all the gears inside are loose, too much grinding inside

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you take it out and play hard in the mud? You are only the second person that I know of that had a front differential rebuild. And both of you would be in NY. I think you may want to take a look at the disconnect on the side as that has broken on a countless number of our rigs. But you said the grinding is on the driver's side

I hope one of the guys that have experienced it and worked on it will chime in. So far I haven't had to work on it down there. Are you lifted at all?

prken

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
djthumper said:
Did you take it out and play hard in the mud? You are only the second person that I know of that had a front differential rebuild. And both of you would be in NY. I think you may want to take a look at the disconnect on the side as that has broken on a countless number of our rigs. But you said the grinding is on the driver's side

I hope one of the guys that have experienced it and worked on it will chime in. So far I haven't had to work on it down there. Are you lifted at all?

nope is not lifted, and I havent play with it, just regular driving

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
If you take the driver side wheel off and open the differential fill plug. In there you can see the carrier and if you twist the wheel/rotor around you can see the movement of the carrier and the meshing(or backlash?).

You also can drain the differential to see if there are metal chunks or shavings. It may give you a better idea of what going on in there especial if there is a major problem. When was the last time you changed your fluids?

My front end use to "thump" in A4WD setting. I changed the diff fluid and transfer case fluid and all noise went away.

prken

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
seanpooh said:
If you take the driver side wheel off and open the differential fill plug. In there you can see the carrier and if you twist the wheel/rotor around you can see the movement of the carrier and the meshing(or backlash?).

You also can drain the differential to see if there are metal chunks or shavings. It may give you a better idea of what going on in there especial if there is a major problem. When was the last time you changed your fluids?

My front end use to "thump" in A4WD setting. I changed the diff fluid and transfer case fluid and all noise went away.

There is not much fluid to check, my buddy check it out and told me I need a new differential. I will start tomorrow taking it apart to see how far can Ido it on my own. Mr. Fiscstick did it and post it here and he took it out from the top, I got the manual but is telling me to take out the rack-pinion dont know wich way to do it. awaiting from a replied from Mr. Fishstick to see what he recomend me. will see tomorrow how it goes

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Oh dear... no fluid. I am stumped myself on how to get the diff off. I don't have any other suggestions. I did find removing front drive axle - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum and Removing front differential!! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum from the OS (I hope that's allowed...). These instructions didn't mention anything about getting the rack and pinion off. But getting the oil pan off seems to give you more room and ease of removing the differential. I've heard it wasn't essential though because the axle runs through the pan. I hope I helped just a little. Good luck, all will be fine.

prken

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
seanpooh said:
Oh dear... no fluid. I am stumped myself on how to get the diff off. I don't have any other suggestions. I did find removing front drive axle - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum and Removing front differential!! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum from the OS (I hope that's allowed...). These instructions didn't mention anything about getting the rack and pinion off. But getting the oil pan off seems to give you more room and ease of removing the differential. I've heard it wasn't essential though because the axle runs through the pan. I hope I helped just a little. Good luck, all will be fine.

Thanks, I just check the sites, the first one doent talk about removing the rack, but the second one talk about removing the rack, will see tomorrow I will try to take some pics to place them here to share my experience.
thanks again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online