Need Help! Oil in spark plug well

RedMonte85

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
My 03 envoy started a misfire the other day. I ran an obd scan on it and it said that cylinder 3 was misfiring. I bought a new ignition coil and was taking the other one out and i noticed there is oil in the spark plug well. Enough that it iw almost definitely the cause of the misfire. When I pulled the old ignition coil out, oil was dripping off the end of it. Is this caused by a bad head gasket? Any help would be much appreciated

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not a head gasket, more likely the little donut gasket around the plug well for the valve cover is leaking. It is fairly common to happen on a lot of inline DOHC engines (I've seen GM and Honda do this for sure). Typically just snugging down the valve cover bolts is enough.

Reactions: Robbabob

RedMonte85

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I got the oil out and soaked up any residue. Cleaned the ignition coil off and put it all back together. Hopefully it lasts til warmer weather and I can tear it apart to change the valve cover gasket. Seems to be running fine now

Reactions: Robbabob

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What I did to help snug the gasket down a bit more is remove the bolts for the coils and add a washer on each bolt so the coil would exert a little extra pressure down on that gasket.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It probably will be fine for a while.

My one well had a decent amount of oil in it when I changed plugs the first time. Next time I changed them there was only some oil in there but not near as much as the first time.

RedMonte85

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Does anyone happen to know the valve cover torque specs? I remember reading somewhere that it is in-lbs.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
89 lb in

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.