NEED ADVISE -want to soup-up my 04 trailblazer

TRAILTOY

Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
DALLAS,GA
I just bought a 04 trailblazer,5.3,4x4.,posi,3:73 gears; & looking for advise as to getting move HP (MAYBE 20-40 MORE) without spending a lot of $$. I am looking for info for exhaust ( I like it LOUD), cam, air intake, chip's. etc.
ANY ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. You can always reach me @ jarh38@aol.com.......Thank's. RJ

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
LS motors are easy to build. Everything you mentioned is pretty well available if you google, but a tune is best bang for buck in smiles per mile and drivability.

Reactions: Blckshdw and C-ya

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Like @HARDTRAILZ says, a tune is the best initial investment. Not sure if '04 was a DOD/AFM engine, but if it is, get that turned off! Reduce torque management to zero (or as close as possible), raise speed limit to 300 or so, firm up the shifts and reduce time between shifts and she'll be fun as hell. Check out member @limequat for a tune. $100 and he does mail order. The 5.3 has a separate tranny module so you would need to send both. I did - best money I have spent on the truck. Except maybe the snow tires. Snow tires are awesome in the winter.

If you want more after the tune, go for it.

For sound, there are a few threads on mufflers (under the main passenger compartment). If the resonator isn't gone, you can get rid of that. That is the "muffler" looking thing at the rear of the vehicle, just under the rear bumper.

Enjoy it!

TRAILTOY

Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
DALLAS,GA
LS motors are easy to build. Everything you mentioned is pretty well available if you google, but a tune is best bang for buck in smiles per mile and drivability.
That is true, but I was hoping for member recommendations of products they used. I thought that this site would be more hands on in helping. Googling is NOT WHAT I AM AFTER....RJ

GREAT REPLY. That is what I am looking for. Thank's Again....RJ

Last edited by a moderator:

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Also, since you just bought it, do you have any records on maintenance? If not, I would change the transfer case fluid (GM Auto Trak II). It is a 50K mile interval. Most folks don't know that and the TC suffers because of it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sorry I did not spoon feed you.

But welcome to the site and feel free to explore the build thread and look around for alot of the info you demand is shared freely around these halls.

I have great success with PCMofNC as many other members have, but with the 4.2 tuning. You have lots of options with the 5.3. Do you have any experience with HPTuners? Might be worth investigating so you can optimize as you continue to mod your truck.

2nd'ing the TC fluid check. Easily overlooked by many.

rtliquid

Aug 6, 2015
Shouldn't the hardware mods (intake, exhaust, cam, etc), if they're going to be done, be done BEFORE the tune? Otherwise, wouldn't those mods require another tune?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yep...depending on the depth of those hardware mods.

Also, that is why I hinted to HPTuners.

I had my tune done then had a retune later to match the mods made and those about to be done. Was much cheaper for retune and I go to enjoy the initial tune and see what I liked and did not before the retune.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Like @HARDTRAILZ says, a tune is the best initial investment. Not sure if '04 was a DOD/AFM engine, but if it is, get that turned off! Reduce torque management to zero (or as close as possible), raise speed limit to 300 or so, firm up the shifts and reduce time between shifts and she'll be fun as hell. Check out member @limequat for a tune. $100 and he does mail order. The 5.3 has a separate tranny module so you would need to send both. I did - best money I have spent on the truck. Except maybe the snow tires. Snow tires are awesome in the winter.

Well, the OP might be ungrateful, but I appreciated this...and AFAIK, the '04s weren't DOD engines - 5.3L engine code is LM4 for the '03-'04s.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not too many here that have modded the 5.3 except for a quick tune and maybe the exhaust. The 4.2 I6 is more prevalent in the GMT360/370 models so more info available for them. If you want an exhaust, look at the TB SS 6.0, which is basically the same engine family.

So for 5.3 modding info, you'll probably have to do some Googling on the internet.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online