NEED HELP Mysterious goop inside intake resonator

rizzo20

Original poster
While replacing a coil pack this weekend I found some light brown goop all through the inside of the intake resonator. After cleaning my throttle body I used TB cleaner to spray out the resonator then let it air dry in the sun for a few hours before putting it all back together. What is this stuff?

I'm getting a P1174 code which I think is for a plugged injector. I will be replacing the spark plugs soon and currently running a FI cleaner through this tank of fuel. Also I will be installing a new T-stat and sensor since the temp won't go over 175* Not sure if any of this is related. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170219_102609zzzzz.jpg
    20170219_102609zzzzz.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170219_102452zzzzzzzz.jpg
    20170219_102452zzzzzzzz.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20170219_115530.jpg
    20170219_115530.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 38

Alec Venable

Oct 23, 2016
Earth
I just recently experienced something similar. Are you where the temperatures get cold during the winter months? Well below freezing? The way I understand it, if the engine is driven short distances when it's really cold outside, and doesn't get a chance to fully warm up, water condenses inside the crankcase and *mixes* with the oil. I had bunch of yellow foamy crud in my resonator, and under my oil fill cap. Took it for a good long drive, and presto! All clean.

In your photos it looks very similar to how mine was, but less foamy. Maybe get the vehicle out on the highway for a good while and see what happens?

rizzo20

Original poster
Interesting, well that does make alot of sense . Especially since I'm in Central PA and I have a bad thermostat. I drive 16 miles one way to work but it isn't fully getting up to temp. I'll be sure to check out the resonator a little while after replacing the tstat and see if it clears up. Thanks!

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
Woah. Uh. I've only seen that on the oil cap on baffleless cars when you do short drives or idle a lot but never coating the intake system. I hope thats not a bigger problem for your sake especially if you have issues not heating up. Make sure no clogged vacuum lines.

Reactions: rizzo20

rizzo20

Original poster
Yea, I've never seen anything like it but I guess I have seen a similar thing on oil fill caps now that you mention it. The 1 pic I posted if you look close you see that a pool of water? or moisture of some kind is built up in there. I just bought this about a month ago, there's no telling how long the previous owner ran it with a bad T-stat. I just hope it doesn't end up with a plugged Cat.

Alec Venable

Oct 23, 2016
Earth
Woah. Uh. I've only seen that on the oil cap on baffleless cars when you do short drives or idle a lot but never coating the intake system. I hope thats not a bigger problem for your sake especially if you have issues not heating up. Make sure no clogged vacuum lines.
I6 Trailvoys use a crankcase ventilation hose that connects to the air intake resonator, and has no pcv valve to trap the gunk! So if there's water in there, it gets recirculated into the air intake. That's also the reason why the throttle bodies need cleaning regularly.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have a bad t-stat, change it ASAP as this will cause excessive fuel consumption and will eventually kill your cat.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and when the Engine is Stone Cold... Could you pull your Radiator Cap and post back some images of what it looks like underneath and also down inside the Radiator? ... just to eliminate whether or not a Bad Head Gasket is also involved.

Reactions: rizzo20

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
If you have a bad t-stat, change it ASAP as this will cause excessive fuel consumption and will eventually kill your cat.

^^ yup, this needs to be addresses ASAP. Not good for any engine to not warm up quickly, especially in winter weather. You need an engine to get to temp quickly to evaporate that condensation fast. Water is not good in your crankcase or your intake. Also, now that you have that crap showing up in the throttle body, you need to clean that, and the PCV hoses. Also, if the weather gets cold enough that condensation can actually freeze in the PCV and block it solid and then oil will spew from everywhere.

rizzo20

Original poster
OK, I got the new T-stat installed (what a PITA) and the gauge now stays at 210 or just above on the dash. It reads 195 ish on Torque. Anyways while changing the spark plugs I noticed the resonator is bone dry and doesn't have anymore of that yellowish goop stuff. Thanks everyone for the tips and info!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online