My Crown Vic let me down :'(

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Me and two friends went to get some lunch, ended up on a nice drive through nature, but we observed a "hot car" smell for a while. Didn't think much of it, until we got back into town like 20mi from home. Well, this turned into world's longest lunch excursion, because the radiator fan stopped working. After diagnosing the actual fan being bad, we hopped on the highway to go home. That was fine, plenty of airflow at 90mph - scantool was showing about 210, totally fine, we even had the AC on... Until we got stuck in a traffic jam. The car quickly overheated even with the heater cranked up (no fun on a 100F+ day), 264 temperature. By the time I found a good spot to pull off, the car would barely move, I guess since the tranny cooler is in the radiator the transmission fluid got too hot and was causing it to slip?

Trying to decide between fixing it or selling it. There are more things wrong with the car than there are working.

Anyway, just annoyed, I don't really have any questions... Except now I'm reconsidering doing e-fan conversion on my 92 Chevy 1500. I've never had any problems with mechanical clutch fans, though I would like to get a little more power and MPG out of it and I think e-fans would help.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
efans don't fail all that often. Unless you have a Chrysler (they had problems with their fans for a while).

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Well if you have a Chrysler the whole vehicle is a problem :biggrin: but yeah, am I better off trying to find a junkyard e-fan (isn't the Taurus a popular one to use in e-fan conversions) or buy a universal Hayden fan from O'Reilly for my Chevy?

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not sure. Would depend on radiator dimensions and fan size needed.

I still have a set of Chevy Venture fans in my basement, you're welcome to them if they would happen to fit your radiator. I'm never going to use them. I'll measure the dimensions.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
For my truck, I ended up getting two efans and controller from O'Reilly. Still tying up some loose ends on the install and I may need to upgrade my alternator but it works great. Thanks for the offer though :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online