My Bravada story so far

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Hi every one. I'm looking to get a red Bravada transported from Lebanon, OH to Jackson ,MI. red bravada 2 of 10.jpg
I just bought this red 03 for parts and an engine for my pewter 03 Bravada that I bought two weeks ago.7-23-16sam 159.jpg
It seems that quite a few of our beloved GMT360's are reaching the end of their service life lately, so there are a lot of dirt cheap deals to be found out there. If anyone has some good ideas for transporting for a reasonable cost. Let me know. Thanks. ~BOB

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hmm, looks like a storm damage vehicle, likely from the recent severe storms that came through the state. Am I right?

That vehicle is 2 hours southwest from me. It would be an all day thing, but too bad I don't have a vehicle trailer otherwise I could probably tow it behind my pickup easy enough.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could rent a car trailer from U Haul if you can find a truck to borrow. Another option is to also rent a cube van with the trailer. I think if you can get it done in 4 hours, it costs less.

Sure hope it was a good deal because any way you look at it, it's gonna cost a bit to get it home.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It is about a 4 hour trip one way from where it is at to where he is.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, Google Maps puts it at 3:55. They usually overestimate. It's doable :biggrin:

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Are you apart of any car groups? Down here in the springs there is a page called "Colorado Springs Project Cars" and when guys are going up near Denver that have a trailer, they are always willing to pickup extra stuff for other guys. I know a guy who paid another guy like $150-200 to trailer down a 240SX from North Denver to the Springs.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Forget about the 4 hour thing. Just realized it's for local moves only, not one way.

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Hmm, looks like a storm damage vehicle, likely from the recent severe storms that came through the state. Am I right?
Right you are. A tree fell on it.
Sure hope it was a good deal because any way you look at it, it's gonna cost a bit to get it home.
I think I did all right . Cost less than the new tires that are on it.

Since I have driven up and down I-75 a few times, I guessed it would be about four hours. The guy I bought it from can store it for four weeks, so I have a little time to solve the transportation. If I was young and adventurous I would hitch hike down and drive it back. Oh well those days are gone. ~BOB

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I took the bus when I bought my Saab out of town and drove it home. No hitchhiking required :smile:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I bet you can get Sparky to do it if you rent a trailer and offer enough for his time. :poke:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I thought about flat-towing it somehow, then realized being a Bravada it won't have a neutral position on the transfer case.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could disconnect the driveshaft and tie it up out of the way.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I agree. Helmet and drive that thing home

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Be best on a non rainy day so you don't get your interior soaked though.

Reactions: jsheahawk

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cut the roof off so people think it is just a convertible

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
I put the transport up for bids on uship.com. The wrecked Bravada should be here in the next few days for a shipping fee of $288. I'll post some pics of all three Bravadas when it gets here. ~BOB

Reactions: Matt

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
8-27-16c 007 small.jpg
Here's a pic of my Bravada's (Bravadi?) The red parts car got here Saturday. So far the red one is the least rusty of the group. Next pic is what red looks like today. 8-27-16c 014 - small.jpg
So far the only disappointment is that the fairly new tires on the red one are many sizes too small (225-60-17's instead of 255-60-17's). Other than that, it's a great parts vehicle. ~BOB

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Have fun driving around just like that lol

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
So far.11-3-16s 050.jpg Slow progress, since I have plenty to do at work besides work on my own cars. Here's todays pic of the motor out of the red 03 Bravada and the silver 03 Bravada pulled inside to start pulling its motor.
the red 03 is completely parted out. So if any one needs parts, pm me. I have a back room full of every thing that came off of the red one. ~BOB

Reactions: mrrsm

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
12-9-16s 014.jpg
Well finally, a progress report with progress. I lifted the front of the body about sixteen inches off the frame to get to the bell housing bolts and that helped alot. So now it's all hooked up and I started it today. Almost perfect. Except for the fuel leak at the fuel filter that I just replaced. The tiny "O" rings inside the fuel line connector are cracked. I looked at the dorman fuel line connector kits on line and I'm not sure if that's the way I need to go. Maybe just a piece of high pressure fuel line and some screw clamps. Any thoughts? Oh and of course as I'm working on it I discover the ripped ball joint boots, so before it's ready for the road I'll have to fix those too. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You talking about the o-rings for the filter? Why not just replace the o-rings?

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
You talking about the o-rings for the filter? Why not just replace the o-rings?
Yes, the "O" rings inside the snap connectors on the fuel filter. There's a red "O" ring about 3/4" inside the 3/8" connector and a yellow "O" ring about 1/2" down inside. I would like to replace them however my hands are XX large and installing tiny "O" rings 3/4" inside a 3/8" tube could take me a couple of days.:bonk: ~BOB

Last edited:

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
12-12-16s 011.jpg

12-12-16s 012.jpg

Well I came back fresh to the fuel filter connector after a weekend away and managed to replace the "O" rings! yea! Started it and let it run for ten minuets. No leaks , no service lights! yea! Then installed the new upper ball joints and started double checking everything. Found the Right front axle wasn't snapped into the disconnect and in the process of pushing and prying managed to rip the boot. Damn. At least I have another axle from the parts truck. I posted the pic of the (what looks like) original fuel filter. Almost rusted through. The rust is what broke up the "O" rings. So all that's left to do is fix the axle, install the hood, bolt on the front wheels and drive it out of my shop. ~BOB

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Good news, Bad news.
Well I finished the pewter Bravada motor swap and it runs beautiful. The bad news is I should have checked the front diff more closely when the motor was out. Drive shaft turns but the wheels don't. I turned the pinion shaft by hand when it was out and all seemed fine. I drained and replaced the fluid and all seemed fine. I was so focused on getting it all apart and back together that I didn't take time to think of what was wrong with the AWD system on the parts truck. I knew it didn't work and I found the encoder motor seized up. So I just assumed the encoder motor was the problem.
Here's my theories.
#1 First the front diff broke, then when the rear wheels broke traction, then the system cranked the encoder motor harder and harder trying to engage the front diff until the encoder motor burned up.
#2 Or maybe the encoder motor seized up and the truck crow hopped until the diff broke.
Either way, it would have been a fifteen minuet job to change the diff when the motor was out. Now it'll be an all day job.
Now here it sets till spring when I have time to get back into it.12-13-16s 001.jpg

~BOB

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was gonna say to check the disconnect but it doesn't really have one. Just a fake one that is always connected with a solid sleeve inside. Check that the axles are properly inserted.

Are you checking with both wheels off the ground? If so, that would be incorrect to check this way as the front diff is open. Leave one wheel on the ground and turn the other wheel. The driveshaft should turn.

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Thanks for your reply mooseman. All four wheels were off the floor when I checked it out. Both axles are in all the way. There's a vibrating noise in the diff(kind of like a cat purring) when I had it running, which leads me to think something is broke. One thought is maybe I could get lucky and it would be just the teeth of the intermediate shaft. Some how my gut tells me that's wishful thinking. ~BOB

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Update. Yesterday I sold enough parts off from the parts Bravada to break even on the price and transport of the parts Bravada. Nice how that worked out. except for my time, I have no money out of pocket for the replacement motor. ~BOB

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Well here I go again.03 white bravada 1.jpg Another parts truck. Blown motor, new tires, new battery and new brakes. I've done so well on the last parts truck that I completely paid for the last two Bravadas (the pewter 03 and the red 03) and then some. ~BOB

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You starting a Bravada cemetery? Lol!

Reactions: Tiggerr

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Thought I would share these pictures. Both parts Bravadas had the same issue with the intermediate shaft.6-5-17s 016.jpg
The one on the left is from the red 129k 2003 Bravada, the one on the right is from the white 177k 2003 Bravada. Last pic is of what's left of the parts Bravadas. Scrap man comes tomorrow.

6-5-17s 018.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yours are not the first ones I see like that. Seems to happen more to the AWD than 4x4 trucks. I wonder if the fact that the front diff and axles are always connected has something to do with it? If getting a used replacement, maybe look at the 4x4's.

carshinebob

Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
Well it's been a long long time since I've posted anything to this forum but I'm still in my GMT360's every day. the latest I picked up last week. A Bravada final 500.20240201_110648.jpgI Still have the other two Bavadas and all used every day since I have two teenagers driving.20240202_082056.jpgI've also parted out three more Bravadas so I hope I have enough parts to keep them all on the road. ~BOB

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Final 500! sWEET!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online