Mixing Bilstein Shocks?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Want to raise the front slightly
on my Envoy and am going with the Bilstein 5100's. Am thinking of staying with the 4600's in the rear

Occasionally pull a small 14 ft, 2000 lb travel trailer.

Any problems with this shock combo? Thanks for any input.

Mike of Maine

Sep 6, 2023
Maine~
I believe the shocks will work well together based on that they are both designed for our truck platform despite different model #s. I have spoken with Bilstein customer service who have been VERY helpful in finding shocks to work for a lifted application. You may want to try them for specifics.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not the same thing as the Legendary Story of The Man Wearing One Black Sock and One Brown Sock... When asked about it, he replied, "I have a PAIR ...just like THESE... at Home." If you were running the SUV set up for Short Track Racing ...you could maybe get away with it...as long as the weaker set was closest to the inner lane of the circuit.

But, If the Nitrogen and Oil Loads inside of this *asymmetrical set* are radically different...it could throw the vehicle off center-line (Weight and Balance) when hitting the road concrete parting lines or when braking at speed on the highway. So... 'The Popular Prejudice' is to install a Matched Set because your Transmission and Drive Train may wind up HATING you for doing otherwise

Here is another supporting argument against doing so...

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a set of 5100 in the rear only with the originals in front, no ill effects. I wouldn't see a problem the other way around. I think the valving is probably the same between the two. The 4600 are just to accommodate lifts. As mentioned, you could ask Bilstein customer service.

Mike of Maine

Sep 6, 2023
Maine~
Hi Mike,

Thank you for contacting Bilstein.

It necessary for the shocks on one axle to be compatible with each other but there is no issue running different series of shock on different axles. Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Joseph Smith

Technical & Warranty Support Expert/ Team Lead

Thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc

I hope this helps.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online