Minimize Your Shipping Costs at RockAuto.com!

RockAuto

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
RockAuto.com offers reliably low prices on auto parts for both your daily driver and classic, 24 hours a day! Unlike companies who mark up prices to cover "free" shipping, RockAuto offers reliably low prices, and adds only the actual cost of delivering your order to you.

We sell over a million different parts, and a single warehouse cannot hold them all. If you choose parts which are not stocked in the same place, carriers will charge for two shipments. Two ways to minimize shipping charges are:

1. Watch for Truck Icons next to parts in the online catalog -- they indicate parts which can ship from the same warehouse as parts already in your shopping cart.
2. Use our "Choose for Me to Minimize Cost" tool -- which lets you say "any one of these parts would be OK" and then automatically chooses the lowest total cost (part + shipping).

Learn more about these and other unique features of our catalog on our Help with Placing an Order page!

trucksInCart.jpg

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How about just free shipping like your main competitor? We shouldn't have to compromise between the shipping cost and the brand we really want.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
^^^ This.

My overriding concern is brand available - if I have to wait an extra day or two for it, that's preferable to doing another R&R later, but saving $2- $5 on shipping.

If wait time or shipping cost was a concern, I'd be buying retail anyway.

RockAuto

Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
How about just free shipping like your main competitor? We shouldn't have to compromise between the shipping cost and the brand we really want.
Per the post, shipping is never free. Free shipping comes at the cost of higher markups/part prices. Thank you.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
How about length of shipping times? If I ordered a door mode actuator from you today, I wouldn't get it until the 16th...what's up with that? If I want it sooner, I have to pay substantially more, so, it would behoove me to buy from the big A and get it in 2 days for the same price as yours with standard shipping.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I agree on the shipping times, my RA order is coming from eastern NY to me in western NY and it's taking 5 days. Tracking shows that it hasn't moved in three days,I've received crap from China faster than that.
Update: I just tracked and it's in Rochester(mid NY state) so there is some progress.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
FWIW I've noticed the estimated shipping times are usually way off and I almost always get my stuff from Rock Auto a lot faster than it says. (not always the case as shown above)

Sure, if you need something NOW do the Amazon Prime (which costs a yearly fee anyways..)

I've found, personally, for the odd single part here and there I go to Amazon typically, but if I'm doing a larger purchase (such as when I redid my front end) I bought from Rock Auto as combining shipping worked well and the cost was less than Amazon.

Just my 2 cents.

And seriously, not worth attacking a vendor over...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't really consider this an attack, just a friendly suggestion on how shipping costs could be handled differently. I have ordered stuff from RA and with the 5% discount code, it can make it more affordable. I have had instances where getting it shipped from RA in the US to Canada was still cheaper than buying it here, shipping and taxes included. I remember when our dollar was at par with the US and I ordered stuff almost on a monthly basis, doing the ship from the same location thing was a PITA. Either build the shipping costs into the prices or maybe have a paid RockAuto Premium (like Prime) for quicker free shipping, which can be advantageous for those that buy more often.

We realize that shipping ain't free. Just need a better way.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
FWIW I've noticed the estimated shipping times are usually way off and I almost always get my stuff from Rock Auto a lot faster than it says.

Good call, my item from RA is now being delivered today not Saturday as they originally stated, so my rant was unwarranted.:rant:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably more a courier issue.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Rockauto is making me mad right now.
Im ordering new tierods and swaybar links.

I can get all sb links exept one , right rear from the same warehouse.

A $7 thing gets me a additional $32 in shipping, thats just ridicolus.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.