Memory seat module...??

ct400

Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Hello, I'm new here. :smile:

We have a 2004 Yukon XL and I'm wondering if the memory seat module is the culprit of my problems.

1) The actual memory of the seat position has always been a little hit & miss, as far as the driver seat staying in the desired position.
2) A month or two ago I noticed my power seat would not move up/down, but would still move back & forth.
3) Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, the power seat will not move at all, in any direction.
4) Heated seats do not come on for both driver and passenger side... no clicking, no lights coming on for a second and then going back off. Just nothing.

After some internet research I asked my husband to take out the bottom of the driver seat and check out all the wiring, connections, etc to look for something melted, unplugged etc. He removed the seat and everything LOOKS fine.

He left it all unplugged and put the seat bottom back in. I then asked him to hook all the connections back up... just for fun, lol.

He did that and then the heated seats worked the next TWO times the vehicle was started. The driver seat heater came on when he pushed the button and stayed on for the duration of the drive and worked fine. I don't think he tested the seat to see if it moved though.

Then when I got in to drive, it was all back to non-working again. :sadcry:

My questions are:

1) Do you think that the memory seat module is to blame?
2) If I buy that part off the internet, does it need programmed by a dealer?

(I thought I read that it didn't, but now my husband's buddy who works at a dealer says it costs $550 for the part and "programming"... )

He also said that based on the description of the problem, that reprogramming the mem seat module that's in there wouldn't solve the problems... does that sound right?

Well, thanks for reading my novel!
:smile:

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
I'm more of helper in the GMT 360/370/305 section, but it does sound like the memory module (should be attached to the bottom side of the seat) may be to blame. I would think it might be the serial data line, but the seat controls to move them are on the seat itself, right?

My first move would be to take it in to a dealership or other shop with a Tech 2 tool to get codes read. A common code reader can do engine codes, and sometimes ABS and SRS, but it usually takes a very high-end tool to get the "hidden" codes - the one the various modules store in the system, but don't turn on any sort of trouble light. Seeing a code related to the seat module would definitely get you headed in the right direction, and while a scan can be expensive it's better than shotgunning parts until something magically works :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online