Manually unlocking the liftgate - 05 Yukon

garciarf

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
So the liftgate on my brother's 05 Yukon SLT (SWB) won't unlock anymore, tried with the keyfob or the front door unlock button, no luck.

An additional complaint he has is that the wiper will not work unless he presses on the selector knob (and sprays washer fluid), but what I forgot to ask was if this was after the liftgate stopped work or before (it stopped working just over a week ago).

First thing I did was replace a fuse that I found on the internet controls the liftgate and still no luck. My next item to check is the wiring going to the tailgate.

However, I do need to ask: How do I manually unlock the liftgate so I can get to the wiring boot? I'm pretty much a complete noob when it comes to the Yukon-specific things (TB owner), and my brother barely knows what a fuse looks like, so I'm out of luck there.

I tried searching but all I've found is for the GMT360 platforms.

Thanks in advance

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There should be a key slot, and use the key like you would on any other door.

The boots are a known problem for people that use the rear compartment alot. The Barn Door style Yukons/Tahoes dont have as much of a problem, as they use a diferent power transfer system.

If the key doesnt work, you will have to take the interior panel off, and figure it out from there.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Is there a round "plug" in the bottom of the inside panel?? This is where the release lives. Then with a light and a screwdriver you should be able to pop it. The one I had the other day was a new body style and had no plug. I opened the rear glass and removed the top edge of the trim. Then forced my way down in until I could release it. The other option is to make a 1" hole so you can get in then you should be able to get a plug for it. They are common on the venture/uplander and the equinox type vehicles.

garciarf

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I will look at the inside to see if there's a plug. There is no exterior key slot, presumably because this is an SLT (I know that with the Envoy and TB the more equipped trim levels didn't have one -mine doesn't either).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358