Making CAI, Few Questions.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'm going to attempt to make a CAI for my 02 TB following these instructions: http://gmtnation.com/f25/diy-air-intake-intake-air-temp-sensor-582/
The 02 has the IAT Sensor. The way Shdwdrgn made his seems to be different. Here is where I'm dumbfounded IMG_5088.JPG

And mine Stock:
View attachment 3413

Notice that there is only one thing that goes into my Stock Intake? Unlike Shdwdrgn he has 3 things going into his CAI Pipe. This is where I'm lost. I know that the Green and Red thing attached to mine is the Air Filter Indicator to let me know when to change it..

This is what I think I have to do. Attach the wiring or whatever it is, thats closest to the Throttle Body to the PVC Pipe. Same goes for the Air Filter Indicator.

Am I right?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I can't see the pic of yours.

You should have 4 connections;

The IAT has the wires connected to it.

The small vacuum hose is for the fuel pressure regulator.

The bigger hose is for the clean PCV air.

Last, the air filter indicator.

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
the two tubes attached to the front are breather tubes that were originaly connected to your resanator the piece on to of the engine that says vortec 4200. btw these will need to be reconected to the new intake.
View attachment 18375
hers mine

Attachments

• xcvbnm,.jpg
    xcvbnm,.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 12

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ah ha I got it. I took the Resenator off and Now I see what go where and such!! Thanks Guys. Now I'm off to Ace Hardware!!!!

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
The 2 Breather tubes that plugs into the front right on the resenator how would I attach them into the PVC Pipe? I know how to get the front left of but the front right has me baffled.

Sorry for dbbl post

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Try re-reading the thread you linked to on the how-to. It explains the fittings and parts list at the very begining.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
1- 3" Sweeping 90* Elbow (Grey Conduit PVC)
1- 3" x 1' Pipe (PVC)
2- 3" couplers (Rubber)
1- 1/2" MIP to 1/2" barb, straight (PVC)
1- 1/8" MIP to 1/8" barb, straight (brass)
1- 1" MIP to 1" barb, 90* (PVC)
1- Can of Textured Black Paint

But when looking at the front right tube I need to make that longer, thats where I'm lost at.

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
Yep, I think he left out the part about needing extra hose for the vacuum line and vent line to extend them to the cai. Let us know if you find the 3" pipe at ace, I've looked around and think I'll have to go to an electrical contractor store to get it where I am.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yea I just got back from looking at my truck, I just need longer hosing. Now I'm off to Ace!!!!

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Again sorry for the Doubble post. ACE had the 3" pipe, but you actually need schedule 30 3.25" Outside Diameter PVC Pipe.

Read Post #12

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Now that you mention it, I believe I did remove my original (small) vacuum line and replace it with a length of flexible vacuum hose I had on the shelf...

I found the 3" electrical PVC at both Home Depot, and at Lowes. It seems to be a pretty common part anywhere that carries a good stock of electrical fittings. Surprisingly, my Ace did not have that piece on hand.

@Cable810 - Larger pipes are only sold by the 1" increment. The measurement is actually the internal diameter of a given pipe (generally in the schedule 40 size - thinner walled pipes will match the outside diameter of the sch40 pipes so they can all fit the same size fittings). You're not going to find a 3 1/4" pipe, and I'm not sure what you are planning on dremelling to make fit? The pipe is not intended to slip inside or outside of the throttle body - it simply butts up to the edge of the tb, and the rubber clamps holds the two units together.

Also of note - my intake does not have one of those air filter indicators on it. I have the two vacuum lines on the front side, another large air line (I believe going to the secondary air pump?), and the IAT sensor on the back side. If you want to also include the air filter indicator, you will have to drill another hole in the new intake and modify as needed to hold the indicator.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok,

After 3 runs to Ace I finally got the correct PVC Pipe. I had to get schedule30 PVC Pipe 3.25" Ouside Diameter. Then got a 3" coupler that fit over the 3.25" PVC that and the throttle body. Fit like a glove. Now I have to go back to Ace tomorrow and get the correct rubber hosing for the front right unit.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Mand 3 doubble posts. Sorry :frown:

Do I have to dissconect the Negative terminal on the Batterie for the Computer to relearn the new intake?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Cable810 said:
Mand 3 doubble posts. Sorry :frown:

Do I have to dissconect the Negative terminal on the Batterie for the Computer to relearn the new intake?

No. The biggest difference is only going to be sound. :twocents:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Good cause I drove around yesterday and didn't dissconnect the Negative Terminal after Installing the CAI. I unpluged it to today just incase!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online