Major Issue When Editing Posts

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ok, this has been going on since the forum first started but now it is getting worse.

Basically what happens is when I edit my post to correct something I see duplicated sentences or maybe a few words. This makes it difficult to proofread and reply properyly.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I think we discussed this and it's a browser -> VBulletin bug. What OS and browser are you using, and can you try a different browser?

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
I think we discussed this and it's a browser -> VBulletin bug. What OS and browser are you using, and can you try a different browser?

It happens in both Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and also every version of Firefox from version 16 thru 19.

Edit: Tried it again. Very replicable and happens ever time when trying to reply. Definitely not working right in IE 9 and Firefox 19 which is the latest.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Have you replicated the issue on different computers?

I've never had this problem on my end from any of the 3 computers I use to access the forums.

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
Have you replicated the issue on different computers?

I've never had this problem on my end from any of the 3 computers I use to access the forums.

I will check on all my computers at home. We have about 10 computers including some laptops that have Windows 8 pro.

Just checked my Android phone and it works fine with the built in browser and Chrome. Currently using Windows 7 on this laptop.

Upvote 0

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
CaptainXL said:
I will check on all my computers at home. We have about 10 computers including some laptops that have Windows 8 pro.

Just checked my Android phone and it works fine with the built in browser and Chrome. Currently using Windows 7 on this laptop.

I like Chrome.

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I RDP'd into my Windows Home Server and IE 9 on there showed the same problem.

Upgraded this laptop to IE 10 now that Windows 7 can use it. Still same problem.

Upvote 0

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Have you tried google chrome? I have IE 9 and windows 7 OS, I have this issue in IE but not in chrome, just thought I would let you know.

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hm I use Firefox. Maybe I'll give it a try in IE later.

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Did not work on my Windows 8 PC using IE 10. So I installed Firefox and Chrome and it worked.

Scratching my head I deleted the Internet Explorer cache, cookies and forms and it now works.

Old/bad cookie data?

Upvote 0

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have also had this problem, on IE9, Chrome, and FF. Not sure whats causing it.

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I have also had this problem, on IE9, Chrome, and FF. Not sure whats causing it.

Has to be a website issue because I just clean installed Windows 8 a month ago. This rules out any previous versions of Windows or IE as the culprit.

Upvote 0

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Has to be a website issue because I just clean installed Windows 8 a month ago. This rules out any previous versions of Windows or IE as the culprit.
Except that out of 3034 members, only a couple are having an issue. :undecided:

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
Except that out of 3034 members, only a couple are having an issue. :undecided:

Tollkeeper and I happen to be part of the 1% thats contribute the most to this site. Perhaps the sheer volume of replies that we do could be a cause. Anyway, at least a workaround has been verified by me.

Upvote 0

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Tollkeeper and I happen to be part of the 1% thats contribute the most to this site. Perhaps the sheer volume of replies that we do could be a cause. Anyway, at least a workaround has been verified by me.

I actually have more posts than you and tollkeeper and I don't have an issue....

Upvote 0

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Website just picks random people to be grumpy with :tongue:

Captain, are you a member on any other vbulletin-based forums? Any similar issues there or is it just isolated to here?

Upvote 0

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
Tollkeeper and I happen to be part of the 1% thats contribute the most to this site. Perhaps the sheer volume of replies that we do could be a cause.
I have to admit, I frequently go back and edit my posts. (fingers moving faster than the brain these days) :redface:
I have never had any issues with the edit. (FWIW, I use Firefox exclusively)

Sparky said:
Website just picks random people to be grumpy with :tongue:
Not random, just picks the complainers. :raspberry: :rotfl:

Upvote 0

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I actually have more posts than you and tollkeeper and I don't have an issue....

Yes he does. He said so in his earlier post. Just because some people have the problem and some dont does not mean there isnt a problem. I have programmed websites and use forums all the time and have over 15 years experience programming in general. So I know what a bug looks like. I was seriously considering doing a search on vBulletins site to see if anything popped up. This isn't something a member should have to do.

The least that could be done is to do that bug research on vbulletins site. But nooo. Nobody has said a thing about doing this. All I get is people scoffing.

Just forget it folks. I was just trying to help and be professionall about the whole thing. If you think I am crazy thats ok with me. No hard feelings.

Upvote 0

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Yes he does. He said so in his earlier post. Just because some people have the problem and some dont does not mean there isnt a problem. I have programmed websites and use forums all the time and have over 15 years experience programming in general. So I know what a bug looks like. I was seriously considering doing a search on vBulletins site to see if anything popped up. This isn't something a member should have to do.

The least that could be done is to do that bug research on vbulletins site. But nooo. Nobody has said a thing about doing this. All I get is people scoffing.

Just forget it folks. I was just trying to help and be professionall about the whole thing. If you think I am crazy thats ok with me. No hard feelings.

I never said tollkeeper didn't have an issue...I said that I have more posts than both of you and I don't have an issue...in chrome anyways as per your post about being the 1% that contribute to the forum. Out of all of your professional years, one would think that you would know that everyone in a company(forum) contributes one way or another.

I'm sorry you are having this issue. It doesn't mean that there isn't a bug some where. I have issues with the forum that have been put on me as user error when it clearly isn't, but I just learn to live with it. Nothing get's fixed when fingers are being pointed every which way. I have an issue with the threads I read on my PC on my own account, showing up as read on Mat's account, when he hasn't been on for a few days. I posted about it, got the same result you did....I decided to leave the issues alone because I was told it was my issue, and until someone else has the same problem, nothing will get done.

Upvote 0

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
CaptainXL said:
This isn't something a member should have to do.

Most of the volunteer staff here have no knowledge or experience with running a web site. I know that Jimmy is very busy with his job, running other sites, and life. I'm sorry that this problem can't be fixed for you as quickly as you'd like.

Since you have programmed web sites and have over 15 years of programming experience, perhaps you can find the solution and share it to make this community a better place for everyone. That is, after all, what a community like this is all about.

CaptainXL said:
No one has said or implied that you are crazy. I'm sure you are having an issue. I'm a little confused as to why you would believe that it's a problem with this site when very few people are having this problem. As the roadie has suggested, it sounds like an issue with the way your system is interacting with this site. Whether it's your OS, browser, or a combination of things.

Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online