Lucky or Unusual? Amazing pad and rotor wear.

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I know I'm probably cursing myself by posting this... :no:

I'm on my second TB. (2002 LT w/128k, 2008 LT3 w/101k) and I have NEVER had to change brake pads or rotors.

I visually inspect them when I have a tire off. And, the few times a year I visit the stealership their inspection sheet always states they pass with flying colors. (And I trust them...they have been good to me)

Granted, I purchased both my TB's used but I put over 70k on the first one and am at 75k on the second, so they may have been replaced prior to me buying them...but I have never heard a creak, scrape had a soft pedal or anything!

I drove Fords (I know, I know... :lipsrsealed: ) most of my life and I swear I was replacing pads and rotors every 40k miles....MAX. Got pretty good at it actually.

Is this normal? :confused:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think GM pads are pretty good. We used to have a 03 Silverado and we changed the pads on it around at 100k if not more and they still had life left.

I changed the front pads on my EXT a couple months ago at/around 105k and they were wore out (line/wear indicator in the middle was just barely visible) but hadn't been long. I think 100k is pretty good for them but I don't know for sure that they were original because we've only had it for about 30k miles and it's at 110k now. I know for sure that the pads on the Silverado were original though because we got it in 04 with only 21k miles on it.

Reactions: NeWtIcUs

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
It's not unheard of to get 100K out of the originals. I got to 102k/ front 122k/rear or something like that in my 03. In all fairness I take it easy on my rides so that may have a lot to do with it. When I did them I cut the front rotors and scuffed the rears. I'm still on the second set of pads and oem rotors at 184K. These things rarely came into my work for brake issues.

Reactions: NeWtIcUs and Mounce

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I just changed my original rotors out at 141k. Stick with oem or brakemotive replacement brakes. :twocents:

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
I just changed my original rotors out at 141k. Stick with oem or brakemotive replacement brakes. :twocents:
WOW! :cool:

Until I bought my TB I thought pad/rotors was a <50k requirement!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Playsinsnow said:
:iagree: I changed out my rotors and pads for Raybestos (mid grade) 2 summers ago, and my fronts are warped. :no:

I'll be switching to Brakemotive, or maybe Hart, when my pads need changing.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
NeWtIcUs said:
I drove Fords (I know, I know... :lipsrsealed: ) most of my life and I swear I was replacing pads and rotors every 40k miles....MAX. Got pretty good at it actually.

Is this normal? :confused:
Real or imagined, Fords have always had the reputation of having crappy brakes :yes: ...Mike.

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
northcreek said:
Real or imagined, Fords have always had the reputation of having crappy brakes :yes: ...Mike.
I remember the last time I had to change brakes on my 2002 Taurus (It's gone now) the guy at O'Reilly's said that the factory rotors were basically "pot metal".

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
NeWtIcUs said:
WOW! :cool:

Until I bought my TB I thought pad/rotors was a <50k requirement!
I was watching them every 5-10k miles. A buddy asked why I replaced the rotors because they were not warped or scored that bad. I bet I could have gotten another 10k off them. I replaced all four corners for peace of mind. The brake fluid however :undecided:

Reactions: NeWtIcUs and Mounce

NeWtIcUs

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
I was watching them every 5-10k miles. A buddy asked why I replaced the rotors because they were not warped or scored that bad. I bet I could have gotten another 10k off them. I replaced all four corners for peace of mind. The brake fluid however :undecided:
That's where I'm at right now. My previous experience starts gnawing away at me to "BE PREVENTATIVE!" :biggrin:

TheDeuce

Apr 30, 2012
Just hit 150k on my brakes, all OEM from factory. IIRC still 60%+ on the fronts and more on the rears. Mix of city and highway, but I don't drive that much. I also live in a desert climate without lots of pot holes or snow, so that helps. I may do it this summer just because it'll be 10 years old.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
My truck had rears done at 94k (before I owned it) and I did all four at 125k. Whoever had this thing before me must have been one hell of a tailgater.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher