NEED HELP lost all gears on way to work

kyBoy04tblt

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
ky
Well heres another trailblazer trouble I've got to deal with. I was on way to work and to take my kids to school when without warning no sounds (whining, grinding, etc ) it was like I was in neutral all of a sudden. I had to pull over in someones yard to get off the road. After the kind gent pulled me home I noticed that when I shifted gears the indicator was showing I was shifting. No power at all to the wheels. I shut it off let it cool down and when I pulled dipstick it had fluid all the way up the stick. I then let it run for near a half an hour and checked again same result. Fluid looked good no burnt smell, no metal debris or any debris for that matter. Fluid looked clean as well. I'm guessing pump failure from my research, but with labor to pull and replace transmission around 450-650 and the cheapest decent used I could find for $550 Im hoping replacing pump may be a little cheaper. Also a nearby shop offered to tow it there and rebuild the one I had for $1250 I have that option as well. After having to install main interior wiring harness among a host of other electrical and hvac problems, (still need to replace the plenum or whatever the hell its called) I'm about done with this thing. I'm looking to trade to a 87 Monte Carlo Ls with a rebuilt 4 barrel 350 and transmission excellent stock interior and 22" wheels but now this. What's the best option or how close am I with the idea of a bad pump, any and all suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One way to confirm it's the pump is to disconnect the line at the radiator (passenger side), slide a hose over it and put the other end in a bucket. same as doing a tranny fluid change as in this video:

Beyond that, it's either a replacement or rebuild. How many miles on it?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Double check to make sure the shift linkage didn't some how come loose under the truck... though if that was the case it should have been stuck in Drive.

kyBoy04tblt

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
ky
Its got around 158k or so. Nice tip on the pump test never knew that one. Also I checked cable and it was good to go. Dont know which route to take rebuild or roll the dice with a junkyard special

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Depends on your intentions. If you are keeping the truck for the long haul and it's worth it, get a rebuild. If it's a rolling piece of rust held together with paint or not keeping it long, get used. But if the tranny you find is a low mileage unit, it would probably be worth the chance.

Reactions: kyBoy04tblt

kyBoy04tblt

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
ky
I plan on selling or trading but I dont want to give someone a lemon.

After looking for pump is this what i jeed

Attachments

• $_1.jpeg
    $_1.jpeg
    25.2 KB · Views: 7

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For probably what it will cost and the trouble, I'd get used. Or just sell it as-is. There are some people with spare parts to fix it or want it for parts.

kyBoy04tblt

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
ky
I am having it towed to an old family friend who is a mechanic and he agreed to look at it for free. He seems to think that it is either the pump or maybe some sort of sensor. He is a very reasonable guy and doesnt charge much, honest and does good work. Hard to find a mechanic like that. He usually is very busy but I guess he decided to help me out. After I hear from him I'll give an update.

Reactions: Robbabob

kyBoy04tblt

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
ky
Well my old family friend has decided he didn't want to do it so I've found another option. 800 bucks plus my old transmission and transfer case for a rebuilt transmission and transfer case. Seems to be output shaft from transfer case. I was told that having 20" wheels and tires put a strain on it. I dont know about that but it seemed like a hell of a deal to get both newly rebuilt. Getting towed to shop tomorrow or Friday thanks for the input. I'll update when I know.

kyBoy04tblt

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
ky
Well the guy has a l480e but if it isnt going to work hes gonna use a l460e. Anybody know if the l480e is compatible ive heard it will work and wont just looking to hear from someone who knows

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Electronics are compatible I believe (seen a lot of LS guys swap to it on 4th gen Camaros/Firebirds) but I don't know how well it would bolt up under there, never tried. It is a physically larger transmission. I know it will physically fit as a guy I know put one under his TBSS.

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
i got a used tranny on ebay for my 07 colorado for $515 then the shop charged $707 to do the work, also including input and output seal on tranny, flushing cooler lines, and of course filter and fluid on the used tranny. worked out perfectly! i think going with another used trans is your best option especially if you don't intend to keep vehicle forever.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Well the guy has a l480e but if it isnt going to work hes gonna use a l460e. Anybody know if the l480e is compatible ive heard it will work and wont just looking to hear from someone who knows

4L80 isn't going to have the proper bell housing.. It's unique to the atlas motors...only thing that'll bolt right up will be a 4L60 that came out of something with an atlas family engine...Colorado, trailblazer, etc

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online