Loss of engine power

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I got the back one done today, had to stop working on it, it was time for church! I plan on getting the front one tomorrow evening after work. My new manifold came in today, I am all set except that one front bolt! At least I got the hard to reach one done!

Reactions: BlazingTrails

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Praise The Lord, it is done! Thank you all very much for all of the advice. I took it for a test drive and it done great! I will let you all know how it does in about a week, that will give me time to see how it is really going to do! I think my biggest problem was the upstream O2 sensor, but the exhaust manifold needed replacing. Blows my mind that there was no codes! Thanks again for all the help!

Reactions: Mark20 and Mounce

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
rrpeace said:
Praise The Lord, it is done! Thank you all very much for all of the advice. I took it for a test drive and it done great! I will let you all know how it does in about a week, that will give me time to see how it is really going to do! I think my biggest problem was the upstream O2 sensor, but the exhaust manifold needed replacing. Blows my mind that there was no codes! Thanks again for all the help!
I'm glad you got it back on there!! Congratulation :wooot:

Reactions: CaptainKD

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Okay, I was driving my Trailblazer to church yesterday morning and it is not fixed! However it does not seem to be in the engine now. Out of a little frustration, while it was struggling to go up a hill out to my church, I floored the gas pedal and the engine got up to 5000 RPM, but we never did start to gain speed! The transmission did not down shift and go on, it was almost like it was slipping!
This is all I need after already putting around $1400 in this thing, very frustrating! Anyway to give some background to this, the transmission fluid and filter has not ever been changed in my Trailblazer, because I was going to change it and was advised not to by the Chevy dealership, they told me to have it flushed instead. So I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this, has anyone had any similar symptoms? My symptoms are it will take off from 0 MPH pretty good, after it shifts a couple of times and you are going good, when you have to slow down for a curve and come out of that curve say around 30 to 40 MPH it really struggles to get going again.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
rrpeace said:
...the transmission fluid and filter has not ever been changed in my Trailblazer, because I was going to change it and was advised not to by the Chevy dealership, they told me to have it flushed instead. ...
So you have done ZERO transmission maintenance at 50K or 100K or in this troubleshooting episode now at 150K? I think nobody even thought to ask that question because .... well....it would never occur to us, that's all. :confused:

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
As far as the maintenance on the transmission, I was going to do it, but was advised not to as I said in the previous post. Its not that I did not want to do anything, they scared me into not doing it because they told me that if I changed it that I would have problems. I did have them flush it. I am going to take it to a transmission shop hopefully today and have it checked out, I will post what they let me know.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
rrpeace said:
As far as the maintenance on the transmission, I was going to do it, but was advised not to as I said in the previous post. Its not that I did not want to do anything, they scared me into not doing it because they told me that if I changed it that I would have problems. I did have them flush it. I am going to take it to a transmission shop hopefully today and have it checked out, I will post what they let me know.
If the tranny was on its way out, nothing you could do about it, however, in my neck of the woods, when I had tranny problems about 13k miles before it went out, I was advised by 3 shops NOT to flush, rather just drop the pan and change filter and 5qts of fluid....Dealer is only in it for the money, otherwise their prices would be the lowest!!!

Reactions: Royalwapiti

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Well, I took it to the transmission shop and they told me that the transmission is good! However they told me that my problem was in the engine and nobody seams to know what is wrong with the engine... I don't really know what to do!

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I don't know, but I need to know what is wrong with this thing! If I can't find something out soon I am afraid I will have to cut my losses and get rid of this thing.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I never understood folks who wanted to avoid a $1000-3000 repair, so they traded in the vehicle and took a $2000-4000 hit on the trade-in because of the obvious problem.

Are there no competent independent mechanics in your area?

I'd be thinking about injectors and compression next.

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
The problem must be far from obvious "Roadie" or someone would have found the problem already! I am not one to throw in the towel, I am 37 years old and still have my very first vehicle, I don't give up very easy! First of all I do most of my mechanic work myself and I always have, my dad and myself have fully restored my 1972 Chevy truck, this is not my first rodeo, "Roadie"! I just don't have all of the fancy tools required to test a lot of the things I need to and can't justify buying them for a one time use. I have spent several hours of my time and spent already right at $1400 on this trailblazer! It just comes to a point that you will have more money in it than it is worth, it only blue books for around $4000 so why would anyone with any common sense just keep throwing money at it? As for the local mechanics and local chevy garage, we'll be your own judge!

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I have gone back and read every post in this thread. It sounds to me like you do have
a transmission problem. But this is just a guess on my part. Don't give up.

rrpeace

Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
Well, we just went this weekend and traded the trailblazer off to a car. My wife has never been completely comfortable driving the extended trailblazer anyway and she wanted a car so we went and looked and she picked out a car and we traded it in on the car. Thanks to all who helped me out on this venture, but we just could not make ourselves put another penny in the trailblazer not knowing that it was going to fix it. We took it to another shop that was independent and they could not find anything wrong with it either, they told me that it could be something in the computer, I don't know what it was, but I am still a little curious. I will just have to let it go. Again thanks to all the help, it was greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Mounce

Royalwapiti

Jul 16, 2012
Do you think there is a connection between torquing on the exhaust pipe to get the O2 sensor out and the cracked manifolds?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.